Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are finally redoing our bathroom and was wondering if anyone has tried tub refinishing? our bathroom is so small that to take out the old tub we either have to smash it or tear out a wall. ( I think the people who built the house built it around the tub)so we were thinking of refinishing. Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you considered a fiberglass surround. The Tub and the walls are covered with a fiberglass overlay. my mil put on over a tub and the surrounding wall in an old bathroom. It looked good, and saved a ton on money taking out the old and replacing it. They also come in tons of colors.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We looked into that and found that our tub is a strange size. This whole house is just strange. The people that owned it said that they never did anything half [email protected]@@@ but every time we pull a nail out of an inside wall we look for a piece of the siding to fall off lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a friend who's DH works for Lowes. They bought a kit and refinished a forest green garden tub to a nice white finish. It looks great. It is a several day process. They say it wasn't hard, just multiple steps. Hope you have two bathrooms.:surprise:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Never done it but saw it once done on "Flip That House" (yeah that makes me an expert hah). Anyway, the tub was OLD and they refinished it and it turned out looking fabulous! I'd say go for it, it might save you money (and the environment a bit too :)).

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I think you can buy a bath tub kit that you just put over the existing bath tub and it's walls, then add you grout or what have you. This is something I hope DH and I can do in the future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope just one bathroom. Might get interesting .The refinishing kit is only aboaut 20 bucks so I think we're going totry it and see what happens. Thanks for all the ideas

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
We had our's professionally done about 5 years ago and it was a great deal. I can't remember how much it cost (sorry) but it was definitely worth it as we couldn't have gotten the old tub out of the house. I swear this house was built around the tub. (there are 2 sharp corners right at the bathroom door)
I'd try it if I were you. One thing to remember it takes a couple of weeks for it completely cure out so if you 'touch' it with anything sharp you're gonna make a nick in the finish, ask me how I know :(.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
:doh2: :doh2: EEEEHHHHH!!!!!! :doh2: :doh2:

I came to this thread hopeing to help and realized that when we go to redo the old bathroom (We're just finishing up the one we added on.)I don't know how we'd get a new tub in, though I have no problem smashing the old one to get it out. Well guess it's better brought to my attention now then later.

Maybe I can learn some magic :hocus: and just wiggle my nose. Good luck wildflowerpa and let us know how it turns out. I'll definately be listening in!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I had mine refinished and it's like brand new.
My sister had bathfitters and now the glue is comming undone.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we decided to just leave the tub for now. I found some stuff to get rid of the rust and iron deposits so it doesn't really look that bad. Now I start the patching. The walls are all wavy and I can't get it smooth. Off comes the drywall mud and have to redo it (geez this was suppose to be easy) Finally got everything smooth and went for paint. We went to the local Trader Horn. They have Glidden paint. Found what I wanted. A really pretty silver beige. 45 minutes later.......the paint wouldn't mix. After two clerks helping the manager came back and acted like I imposed on him. Never did get the paint. Back to almost square one. Oh well there's always this week end :dopey:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts