Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of shampoo do you use to wash your dog? A dog shampoo or just regular "people" shampoo?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Dog shampoo is what I use. Its one you can get at Walmart, like Hartz or Sargent. I have had to use a special one from the vet for a while on Cloe because she had itchy skin but once it cleared up, I am back to the regular kind. I do not bath my dogs as much as I should. I am lazy and they just go right back outside and find something disgusting to roll in anyway. I try to bath them about every other month, sometimes a bit more. I do it inside in the laundry sink. Afterwards I have to take a shower too. LOL

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Our dog stays in the house the majority of the time, so we try to bathe him pretty regularly. He used to fight it, but now he has come to realize how good he feels after the bath, that he just stands still for us. Anyways, I just use regular shampoo - whatever brand I happen to be using at the time. Never had any trouble with doing that.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I use baby shampoo b/c it doesn't burn her eyes. My poodle gets tear stains on her face and I have to scrub here there. My groomer used to use Sun dishsoap...! I hated that cuz it made her itch.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Daisy has really itchy skin and I can't find anything good for her. I'll ask my vet what she recommends.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Daphne,

If Daisy is really itchy after a bath, you can take baby oil, put a samll amount in your palms and then rub her down real good. Try and work it down to her skin. Don't use too much as it will stain your furniture and carpet. But baby oil won't hurt her.

I used to use baby shampoo too on my dog.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
It is best to use dog shampoo since it's formulated for their skin. Some people shampoo is too harsh and can cause skin problems.

Gypsy gets a bath once a week. We use Ol' Roy, which is the ONLY thing of the Ol' Roy line I like. It smells like apples and Gypsy's coat is gorgeous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts