Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there~

DH & I have been pondering our options on our girls' bathroom counter. It's formica (olive green/sand/black mix) and we'd like to make it white. Other than purchasing a new white formica counter...any ideas for an inexpensive re-do? TIA!
Kari

·
Registered
467 Posts
It could be painted. Would need primed correctly first. Check with your paint store on what is recommended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robin. We were thinking of painting, but not sure about the chipping or scratching off. Maybe primer plus a couple of coats of paint and then some sort of clear sealer on top would work?
Kari

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you try painting, let me know how it turns out. Our kitchen counter is pink :surprise: , yeah pink, and I desperately want a cheap way to change it.

·
8,714 Posts
~About 10 years ago my dad put up a faux tile backsplash in my mom's kitchen. It's a thin plastic board that really looks like tile. I'd try something like that over painting. Have you wondered around in a homestore and asked someone there about your options?~

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A friend of mine painted her kitchen countertops. She made them look like marble. It came out beautiful. I say give it a shot. Have fun. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I saw something on HGTV where they made a faux tile backsplash. They taped off squares to look like grout lines. They they spread on joint compound all over the area. Then removed the tape. The joint compound dried to look like stone! They dry brushed some tan paint over it and then painted the 'grout' lines white and it looked just like tile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts