Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us encourage and support each other to be more physically active and stay more physically active.

I would also like this to be a place where we share advice for helping to fit more physical activity in our lives.

This is not a contest. We are all at different levels and different places in our life. I am not comparing myself to anyone here. The only contest in my mind is if the 2015 me can do better than the 2014 me.

This is for people who are not very physically active but want to start. This is also for those who are already very physically active and would like encouragement in maintaining their routine. This is also for those who are in between: people who are kind of active, but would like to be more active.

I would like this to fill the void from the old monthly challenges where people tracked how many minutes of physical activity they did each month. I want to make it more flexible. If you want to track your minutes, that is good. If you just want to say I worked out today or I took a long walk today, that is good too.

Physical activity can include traditional exercise, but it can also include many other types of physical activity. It can include things like taking walks, playing sports, dancing, cleaning the house, or playing tag with your kids.

For some people it works better to have a traditional exercise routine. For some it works better to have a hobby or activity that keeps them active. Either way is good. Some people prefer longer workouts. Some people prefer lots of small workouts. Either way is good.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm definitely in. My job is very physically demanding. I lift hundreds of pounds each shift, and that keeps my weight in check and builds plenty of muscle. But I'm horrible with flexibility and don't get sustained cardio, so I'd love to add in some yoga and zumba in the new year (once we move again and get settled.) I will definitely need some accountability on this!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
We set up my stationary bike up and I put the kids old music stand in front of it. I can use the elastic thing to hold the kindle on, plug my ear phones into it, and I can watch Amazon or Hulu while I ride

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add I am in

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think this is a great idea Kathy. I am going to track how many days I did something active either a physical activity or exercise. I live a very sedentary life so it will hopefully be a good thing to see how many days I can get.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I'm too sedentary, too. But today, between the bike desk project and the cat tree project, I've spent at least two hours on my feet. That's good for me!

The bike desk is nearing completion. I'm hoping I can say the same about the cat tree when Husby gets home. I'd like to wrap those two projects up in the near future. My exercise bike is usable at this point even though it's not quite finished, so I don't have that excuse anymore.

I have a lot of purging and decluttering to do around here, so I'm planning to use that need to get myself up and moving more. We're starting to get some traction here, so that adds to the incentive to get the work done.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'd like to join this challenge. Thanks KathyB for getting us started. I'm on my feet the majority of my work day / 5 days a week as a nurse. My goal is working on core muscle strengthening to avoid back strain at work and improve my posture. Low to mild intensity aerobic workouts are also planned to hopefully increase my energy levels. My plan is for 20 minutes a day - 5 days a week.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I was busy most of the day running back and forth to the garage to cut lumber, and then I got an arm workout sanding off a little cabinet door. :D But it's better than sitting around doing nothing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Throughout my work day I had this challenge in mind , I focused on a better posture and tightening my ab muscles . Too tired to do anything more tonight. Off to bed I go.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Spirit Deer- I hope you used good body mechanics when moving all that furniture. Sounds like a good work out for sure!
I have the day off of work. Set the timer for 20 minutes and did some low to moderate intensity exercising with the bichon running around with me wanting to play. Hoping to go for a walk when dh gets up from his nap.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Lift with your legs! You betcha! :D Several of the things were on wheels so that helped.

I need to drag out the Wii again and start using my EA Sports Active program. I always liked that and it's a good way to get moving.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Little Miss and I needed to pick something up at the grocery store so instead of driving we walked. So was a mile total. And so much fun.

I have also been parking farther away from stores when we do drive.

Reactions: KimB

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, I'm in! I'm going to work on getting some kind of exercise every day for at least 20 minutes. Its so hard for me to get moving in the winter so this will be a good motivator for me. In fact I'm going to get off of the computer right now and take pup to the park for a walk. See..........I'm already motivated. :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Little Miss and I walked 3/4 mile to mc Donald's for lunch then 3/4 mile back home. So a total of 1 1/2 miles

Reactions: RABBIT and KimB
1 - 20 of 112 Posts