Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make some quick cash this week working under the table at a dress shop. I expect it to be 300 bucks, 50 of that will go to a sitter but the rest is going..... in my personal savings account.:dollar:

We have savings but in light of recent developments I decided it wise for a woman to have a stash of her own. Currently my person account has been sitting empty and getting dusty.
Since I have no real job I have to get creative on finding ways to save. We had 40 bucks cash left from last weeks grocery budget, it's now in my account. We got a rebate check for 10.00 on something I bought at staples , it's going in my account. I'm thinking it's time to reopen my Etsy shop and sell my jewelry again.But this time instead of spending my earnings, try saving it.

LISTEN To me girls.. NO matter how great your husband is, I know because mine is one of the good ones, they are all capable of making mistakes. People are weird, you never know what they might do. Don't let yourself become too dependent. Build a stash.
P.S. Men think independent woman are sexy.

Men : If you love your woman , help her feel safe. Encourage her to have her own safety net.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Your advice doesn't need to be gender specific. The same can hold true for men.

But I don't hold with keeping secrets from your spouse, including financial ones. If Cea and I ever decide we should each have savings in our own names, we will know about it and fund them equally.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that YOURS was. My bad for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dh and I have always had separate accounts, actually two each (due to self-employment, have to have business and personal separate). We have one joint account to cover the bills, and the others aren't secret, but left under our separate control.

I also have my own retirement fund, I don't see much difference between that and having your own savings account. As long as you are both comfortable with the set up, I think it's a good idea.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Good for you! Always wise to have money set aside.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
We have joint accounts but each have some set aside too. He uses his for 'fun'. I am a squirrel. You never REALLY know what will happen. What if Antonio Banderas stops by today and asks me to jet off to Spain. Gotta have money for an outfit!

·
4,028 Posts
What if Antonio Banderas stops by today and asks me to jet off to Spain. Gotta have money for an outfit!
I'd be able to fit my wardrobe in my purse! ;)

G

·
I agree. I strongly feel that everyone (man or woman) should have some money in their own name. DH and i do have our own separate savings accounts. We don't hold each other accountable for them. I'm not "hiding" mine per se, but when we sit down and talk about budgeting, we don't volunteer our personal account into, we just discuss the joint stuff.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My husband and I both have money that we stash on our own. Enough to live off of? Hardly, heck with medical bills, it may soon disappear but it wil be put back as soon as it can be IF at all possible?

Why? Because I have seen what I thought was the impossible become possible ...

It reminds me of the old saying about always having some "go to H money".. now I personally have learned I'm just not one for wishing that on anyone( if I believed in such !) but it gets the point across..............

Excellent point.... and good post!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha, never heard the phrase "go to H money".
You just never know what kind of curve ball life might throw at you. I know the last month or so really caught me blind sided.
Unfortunately I can say that someone gave me this advice years ago and I ignored it. My husband would *never*! Ah to be young and naive again.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think a little financial independence does wonders for a marriage anyway. Neither spouse can get the idea they can do whatever they please due to the other's dependence. Anyone is capable of anything if given the right circumstances....most of us choose wisely, but sometimes good people choose poorly.

Unfortunately, I've seen the impossible happen over and over in marriages. Sad but true.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Both dh and I work full time. We've been married a little over a year and lived together 5 years before that. All our finances are separate. We are each responsible for different bills and expenses are split rather equally. I would never have it differently. Couples separate all the time. I wouldn't want myself in a precarious situation financially. Plus we never fight about money, the only person we are financially accountable to is ourselves.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.