Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to work my way through a huge stash of beads, so I started making a beaded bookmark, using seed beads. It is slow going, but has a lot of promise for interesting bookmarks down the road. My current one is just a single colour, with a border, but I am starting to work on a pattern for the next one, which will be wider and a bit more elaborate.

Here is the progress on my first, simple, bookmark so far:

·
19,119 Posts
Looks really good MH!! What do you string the beads on?

Reactions: madhen

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
It looks so pretty, love the colors. You are so creative and motivated, thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Looks great madhen! :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM, along with my bead stash, I have a bunch of bead string (Silamide) in different colours. I also have regular sewing thread, and I am trying that on my second project, because I loop through the same beads so many times, there is pretty much no chance the beads would fall off if a strand broke.

Here is the second one, although I think I'll end up keeping it, because the border beads appear to be just a teeny bit bigger than the interior beads, and it is throwing the look off.

·
19,119 Posts
Actually MH - that is a great look - makes me want to rub my fingers over the beads.

I've never done beading like this - so if you are adding the beads across the work, does anything keep the beads together on the vertical or are they loose?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You typically add only two beads at a time, and you are constantly working the thread through the previous row, so you end up with a very tightly bound product. Basically, you work in little circles of four beads at a time (two on the row you are working on and the two in the row below), if you can picture it. You can take a pair of scissors to it afterward and cut straight through, and typically, if you've done it right, you still won't be able to easily remove any beads from the work.

·
19,119 Posts
I get it - mahalo! Are you using a wire thin flexible needle?

·
19,119 Posts
I don't think that my eyes could handle this type of work anymore!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does get tedious and you do get eye strain. That is part of what takes so long - you have to take a lot of breaks!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
thats very nice

·
19,119 Posts
But then again it's a good break from all the strenuous work you do outside.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
very nice work madhen!!!! I want to do some beadwork for my bible clasp we have a bead store in town. I'll have to go take a look! I like lots of diff colors.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
These are lovely! I love bead work. I would like to try it, however I have so much fabric and quilting stuff, I am afraid to start another craft, I'll never get anything done!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reworked it a bit. This is about 1/3 done. I'm still trying to decide if I want to put a beaded fringe or something that can hang over the book when the cover is closed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts