Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
:lol: I guess it's good we all have our various strengths and weaknesses.
As for the muffins, they are dwindling. I just had to get up and get another one with butter and honey. Also, I remembered years ago someone brought a big pan of cornbread to work. It had been sliced in half (like you would slice a layer cake), cheese added, and the top replaced. I guess they heated it in the oven to melt the cheese. Gosh! That was so good. Next muffin will be with cheese. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Try this:

Melie
1- 8.5 oz. package cornbread mix (Jiffy)
1 egg
1 c. milk
1/2 stick margarine, melted
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
12 oz. cottage cheese
Mix melted margarine, corn bread mix, milk, and egg. Pour half into greased 9x9 pan. Mix cottage cheese and onion and spread over corn mix. Spread remaining mix over the top. Bake one hour at 350.

We eat this as a main dish, but it would be a good side dish too, especially with something spicy because the cottage cheese would help cool the fire. For a main dish I just serve fruit or a green veggie on the side, like a lettuce salad or coleslaw.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Now that sounds good! Recipe has copied, printed and will be tried following next trip to grocery. And I have a small piece of cabbage in there right now for coleslaw. Shoot! I just might make a Walmart run today.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I made the Melie and it is deliciously good! The cottage cheese part in the center is almost like pudding consistency. Have to admit tho'...I only used 8 oz of cottage cheese. Guess I just read the recipe wrong. Whatever! It's still really, really good. A keeper.

One question. Is it supposed to be puffy like regular cornbread? Mine isn't. Given my history of flat cornbread, I'm thinking I've once again managed to flatten the cornbread.

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
I've never had puffy cornbread. So flat is fine!

Ditto the 8 oz. cottage cheese instead of 12 oz. That really doesn't matter, so save a little money and use less!

If you cook something and you like the way it turned out, it's a success whether it's like the original recipe or not.

BTW, there are no mistakes, there are only gourmet touches. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
LOL! Then I'm a true gourmet!

It really is good. I ate an entire third of the pan. That's a lot of cornbread at one time. And now I'm eating some of the "extra" cottage cheese with applesauce for dessert. So it all worked out.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Then I did it right because it sure tasted good. It was an interesting taste and texture. The cornbread taste, yes. But also the combination of cottage cheese and green onions was interesting. I used a lot of onions but it ended up being a very mild flavor and as I mentioned, almost a pudding-like consistency in the center with a bit of crunch on the outside. It is definitely something I will make again. I've already marked the cottage cheese on my printed recipe for 8 oz. It was good that way and since it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
There you go! Bake it in cast iron if you can. You'll end up with a delicate crunch on the outside.

I like to add in lots of green onions, too. They're so mild and IMO they do add to the dish.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts