Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

As I mentioned in my Decluttered Home Office Thread, this year I have made a committment to work on one large project each month. For February that was decluttering and organizing my basement. It wasn't absolutely horrendous. I think it was just the typical basement - a dumping ground for things that had no home and over our 10 years of living here, plenty of things got dumped down there.

I committed to spending an hour a day down there and it took a total of about 20 hours. Once I started, it went pretty quickly. Took me roughly two weeks to complete. I still need to do a smidge more on my craft area, but otherwise, it's done. :)

I actually didn't really get rid of very much. I took out about 2 large garbage bags and I took 4 boxes to goodwill and an old tv to the electronics recycling fair. Mostly this project was about organizing better what I had.

I lucked out in that my neighbor down the street redid his garage this summer and threw out a bunch of shelving units. I was able to grab 3 5-shelf units, 2 3-shelf units and 1 2-shelf unit.

My basement is basically u-shaped with the stairs coming down the middle and then taking a sharp right at the bottom and the hot water heater/furnace beneath the stairs.

Here's the tour, starting in one corner:

Turn to the right 90 degrees:

This is the view when you are facing those shelves on the left:

And finally, the back corner (turned around 180 degrees from the last pictures):

I hope this inspires some of you to tackle your big dungeons!!! You'll be so happy when you see progress. :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That is inspiring, great job. Everything looks so organized now.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Great job!! I like that you mentioned that you didn't get rid of very much, most people think you have to give away everything to have to nice tidy space but you proved that wrong. I love how organized it looks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, nuisance! Thank you for nominating me for post of the week. That's really an honor for me being so new here. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What a great job. I wish I had a basement. Not gonna happen here in Florida :(

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Great Job Marie!! It looks fantastic!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Great work MsMarie!!! Don't you feel so good now!!! Your basement sure does!!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'll say this is inspiring! Wow! You did a really great job!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Again, nice job. Have you ever considered going into business doing this for others? I think you have a great knack for organizing.

Cat

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great job! What a difference and what alot of room you have now! :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Awesome job! Dh and I worked all day yesterday on his work room in the basement. We hauled an entire truck load of stuff off to the center. We are getting ready to build a new home and the more we can clean and get rid of unneeded stuff the less we'll have to move.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I would love to have a basement like that. You did a great job and everything looks so neat and organized.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody!!! And thank you for nominating me for the post of the week. That's exciting for me, being so new here. :)

I've occasionally thought about doing this as a business, but that would be a long way away.

My next project will be either the garage or the hubby's home office, I think - depending on weather most likely.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Great Job!!! :cheer4:
Thanks for sharing...it gives me the motivation to tackle some of my projects.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.