Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 20 year old fridge is making really ugly noises. DH warns me it is only a matter of time before the compressor goes.

So my challenge for November is to use up as much of this stuff as possible to make the transition easier, since our garage freezer is full and can't take this lot. Much of this is open packages or leftovers with one or two servings in them.

puff pastry
pot pie filling
meatballs (dinner)
kielbasa (dinner)
tomato sauce (pizza)
roasted tomatoes (pasta)
whole tomatoes (soup)
dirty rice (dinner)
peas
bbq beef (for bbq beans)
pesto
won ton wraps (chinese dumplings)
choc chips
cheesy corn
refried beans
cube steak (dinner)
chicken thighs (fajitas)
pierogies
breakfast sausg
ground pork (chinese dumplings)
pot roast
green chilis
cincy chili (chili dogs)
chicken breast
refried beans
walnuts
short ribs (dinner)
ham end (soup)
tamales
sauerkraut
smoked pork
corned beef
maple sausage (pigs in blankets)
bbq pork
baked beans
hot dogs (chili dogs)

Going to get a head start by killing the cheesy corn and kielbasa this week and then do some serious menu planning for November.

Let's hope we run out of food before we run out of fridge!

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I see tamales, green chiles, and cheesy corn...sounds like a mexican casserole to me.

·
2,688 Posts
A 20 yr old refrig ...that is good, really.
My DIL who works for her parents in a used appliance store, will tell you that anything past 7 yrs old is good. They are making appliances cheaper nowadays so they don't hold up, like they should.
Our current frig is less than 2 yrs old. The one we replaced we should not have. It quit. Hubby pulled it out on the deck and it ended up going to the DIL's father's place because it was going to get recycled. They plugged it in, and it worked. So they sold it as a working machine. What happened was it got backed up in one of the lines, and when the whole thing defrosted from sitting unplugged, the line emptied out. So when turned back on, it worked.
Another thing you can check is to make sure underneath it, has been cleaned out. Dust buildup can do a number on moters, etc.

We have 2 upright freezers btw. One is less than 2 yrs old, the other one is 36 years old. Both are currently running.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Double agree on the vaccumning. Did that about a month ago. My motor was running almost constantly. Now it's quiet. Replacing that fridge asap should save bi bucks on electric though.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
How is it going on the clean out? There was alot of food there.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I need to do this too. Mine has begun to make the wierd noises occasionally. I hope it lasts for a while. I have so many other things to get before I have time or money to worry about a fridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts