Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear your opinions on my situation.I have been married for about 1.5 years now.I moved from another state to be with my hubby in our current state.During the 1.5 years we've been married,i was jobless till about 6 months ago when I finally got a fulltime position after looking for a while.

My current situation is that I totally hate my job.I took on way more than I could handle and do not like it.I dont mind the actual job if a day had 36 hours but I am barely able to keep up with all the responsibilities.Because of that,my boss is breathing down my neck everyday,reminding me how I'm not doing the job well and comparing me to others.To say its affecting my self esteem is an understatement-hearing how bad you are at your job everyday will do that to you.I cant seem to do anything right in her eyes.I am stressed out,having endless headaches,dread going to work and every minute that I have to be there just kills me slowly.

I am considering quiting and being a stay at home wife( wehave no kids).My husband is ok with that.We survived very well with one income when I was jobless and can afford to do that comfortably.If I did quit,I would probably work part time when I needed or voluteered at what I am actually passionate about.

My question is,would it be wrong to quit?I kinda feel bad and was very excited at the thought of finally contributing.I feel like I should just tough it out at my job(till they fire me or something)but i really do hate going to work everyday.I have a Masters degree and feel like I would be wasting all that time & money i spent going to school.I know I shouldnt care but I am also concerned about what people would say(living off my husband,etc)

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that taking care of the home is contributing. It's a job in itself right there. I don't think anyone would think you're living off of your husband, at least in my area they wouldn't. So what if they did, it's your life.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Have you tried discussing this with your boss as mean as they seem? Perhaps mention that you feel the workload is just too much for you to try to accomplish daily and see if they can re-assign tasks etc until you get caught up. This discussion could go either way - it alleviates your stress and you begin to like/love your job OR they will see you as not being able to live up to their criteria and they may lay you off. By discussing this with your boss, it shows you took the initiative to try find a solution that would work out for both parties, which leaves you in a better light. At least you know you tried right?

Sometimes things aren't meant to work out and in the long run, things actually DO turn out for the better :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I worked on a job for 9 years putting up with things you are now. It's not worth the stress or low self esteem and everything else that you are putting up with. If I was you I would tell her " TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT" You don't deserve being her punching bag. Hope this helps. Just don't invest yourself in a miserable job like I did. I finally got fired and I jumped for joy. I feel so much better without all that agravation and stress. I finally got my confidence back. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You know what I have to say about other people's opinions of what you and your dh choose to do? NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! You get to choose how you live your life. I think if you are that miserable and you can afford to stay home. You should. Then if you want to get a job do that.
The only 2 people you should care about their opinions in this situation is your dh's and yours.
Let us know what you decide and good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I was in exactly your position once, Master's degree and everything. It's not worth the stress. Have you thought about finding a new job?

I was happy when they let me go. (If I had quit I would have owed thousands in relocation money) Well, I wasn't happy at first, but in the long run it was such a relief. And since it was their decision, I got unemployment for a while.

You can always "do something" with your degree at a later date or another location. I wouldn't worry about what people think right now. This is the wrong job for you.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I actually just did what you are wanting to do. With NO regrets!!! Been with company for 4 years, shift work, no holidays with family, just getting beaten down non-stop with 'budget cuts' ... ie. more work with less help... Just couldn't take it anymore more.

Right now my official title is Excellent Finanacial Manager of My Husbands Money... and he couldn't be happier. No kids at home, either, (she's grown). He loves that I spend my time finding ways to save money, pay off stuff, and have a hot meal when he comes home. JMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Libby,thier opinion is that those are the responsibilities of that particular position and whoever gets that job works those duties.Thats my boss' previous position before she was promoted and she keeps reminding me that she did all the things they are asking of me and more...of course she did,shes been with the company 20+ years.

Contrary housewife-I am considering work just contract jobs(or part-time) since they are so many in my field.That would leave me time to do other things that working full-time doesnt allow.

I have actually told my hubby that it would it would be such a relief if I got fired because I wouldnt have to put up with any of it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your value as a woman is not conditional upon you raising children. So I really don't see the difference between SAHM and SAHW.

That said, there is an alternative to staying in your job that you hate and is killing you slowly and quitting and being a SAHW. You could find another job that you enjoy. If the money isn't that big a deal, don't worry about the salary and just find a job you think would be interesting and fun. Full or part time. Unless you'd prefer to stay at home.

Personally, I think that most people are happier, physically and mentally healthier and more interesting the more and different facets they have in their lives. Having a job outside the home provides you with a bunch more facets immediately and many opportunities for even more.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bunnys,i agree with you 100%...what I mean is for now,if I left without another job lined up,I would be a SAHW.It took me a while to get this job so I cant say how long I would stay home.

With that said,this job did make me realise that I dont really care for the field that I am in.Its just a job.I know I wouldnt want to be doing this 20 years down the line.So if I did quit,I plan on spending my time out of the workforce trying to figure out what I would really like to do(hence wanting volunteering for a few things that I have in mind,starting a business)instead of getting another job in the same same field.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Libby,thier opinion is that those are the responsibilities of that particular position and whoever gets that job works those duties.Thats my boss' previous position before she was promoted and she keeps reminding me that she did all the things they are asking of me and more...of course she did,shes been with the company 20+ years.

Contrary housewife-I am considering work just contract jobs(or part-time) since they are so many in my field.That would leave me time to do other things that working full-time doesnt allow.

I have actually told my hubby that it would it would be such a relief if I got fired because I wouldnt have to put up with any of it.
Some people feel they need to have control of others and they lift themselves up by pushing others down. In this case its you. I wonder if anyone's ever stood up to this woman and let her know that they are not her. Not saying you should have a confrontation with her but maybe a gentle reminder could be all that it takes. Everyone has their own way of doing things and prioritizing - shes got all those years of experience over you yet she fails to realize that.

I'm sorry that you're stuck with a cow for a boss. :cheerup:

I totally "get" what you're saying - why stay in a job in which you hate going to and how you're treated but there is a right and wrong way to leave a company. That's for you to decide. I've done both ways before and to be honest...I do not regret those moments one bit. Again, its all up to personal choice.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry you are in that situation. I am a SAHM, but I could be pretty busy being at home if we didn't have children. Our kids are all in school full time and my days are just as busy as when they were little- just different busy. I do have a small business and work when I want to work- about 10 hours a week. Maybe once the pressure is taken away you will stumble upon something you love. And even if you don't, really, keeping a home can be a full time job. I have a masters degree too- even though I don't directly use my degree, it is useful to have. Good luck!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I say stay at home if you can comfortably afford it and maybe get a part time job if you start to go stir crazy. Contributing to the household by taking care of the house (kids or not) is a MAJOR contribution, IMO. I just spent three months looking for a job but in those three months my husband had a meal waiting for him when he got home and never once had to lift a finger to clean or shop or pay bills or ANYTHING. Now that I have a job he has to pitch in more so he is probably wishing we could live off of his income alone...lol

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
no job is worth beating your self esteem over...i didnt even read others posts...no need to feel bad about yourself...do what is best for you...and for dh...and your home...and, to me, that sounds like going in on monday and quitting..give your 2 wks notice and be on your way to being happier....happiness is so important. dont put it to the wayside for the paycheck...things happen for a reason. so, do what you need to do and live your life happy as we only get one goaround....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
no job is worth beating your self esteem over...i didnt even read others posts...no need to feel bad about yourself...do what is best for you...and for dh...and your home...and, to me, that sounds like going in on monday and quitting..give your 2 wks notice and be on your way to being happier....happiness is so important. dont put it to the wayside for the paycheck...things happen for a reason. so, do what you need to do and live your life happy as we only get one goaround....

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say, except I'll add that it seems inevitable (SP?), if not necessary for your mental health that you're going to leave, so why continue the misery? I say follow your heart on this one.

Hoping the best for you!

Theresa :)

do keep us posted.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I agree with Lisaflex. I also have this to say...

I've been a SAHM and SAHW since 1994. I've had some issues with people wanting to know 'what was wrong with me' because I stayed home. But mostly I ignored them. It's none of their business. My extended family were the worst. We have a wonderful set of double standards going around about how we're all supposed to be supermoms/wives doing it all. I've had to educate a few people. Still, the benefits far outweigh the negative.

DH and I decided early on we'd rather I stayed home and took care of the home front than work and neglect home. Part of the problem were the sorts of jobs I liked and took. They were deadline jobs that often required a lot of overtime one or two days a week, meaning meals didn't get cooked, DH was in charge of house and kids. DH couldn't handle it, I was exhausted and sick all the time. So we just went back to the traditional way of doing things, and it worked much better for us.

I think this is a very personal decision you are making and what works for one person might not for another. I would just rule out what other people think in the equation, and just do what's best for you and DH.

Volunteering is a godsend for a SAHW. It gets us out, gives us something productive to do, and it looks good on a resume if we ever want to go back to work. There are lots of organizations looking for volunteers these days. With most women working volunteering has fallen by the wayside.

I say get out while the getting is good. I've had a boss that won't listen before, and yours sounds like one of those. Leave on your own terms, before you get fired. That looks a lot better to people looking to hire again, and it's better for your self-esteem I think.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have been giving this idea a lot of thought lately. I worked in a school with Handicapped 3,4,5 year olds, they are severly handicapped. I do have good health insurance the hours are great, summer off, but the actual pay I bring home is $350.00 every two weeks, i drive 28 miles round trip, which isn't bad except during the winter months, but I am so tired!! When I get home from work I want to go to bed, I think from the mental and physical stress during the day. I have 3 kids, one graduated in Dec. from college, but still needs a bit of financial help until she can get a permanent job teaching, in the meantime, she has been subbing, the 2nd one will graduate in May, she is still needing help but works full time making about $8.50 and hour, the third one just started community college this past fall, with no major yet, he isn't sure what he wants to do, I am scared to quit because of $$ Dh makes a decent wage, but we have some good debt, still a mortgage and student loans, I am sure that we can make it on his income but we will be taking longer to get oe CC's paid off. etc. My meek pay puts us in another tax brack it, so I am not sure what I should do. I just know that I am burnt out.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
buckeye - you are in a tough spot....but, i will refer back to what i responded to the original responder...life is short....live it. if you are tired and burnt out...maybe it is time for a break. maybe give your notice for the end of the school year. and in the meantime, start looking and applying for jobs. i am not of the school of thought that one must work. now, i do understand financial issues, but, if that is not a huge issue for you, do what is best for your sanity and well being. which will be reflected in your families home and lives. best wishes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been a SAHW for 6 years now and don't regret any of it. Much less stressful on both of us, everything that needs to be done around the house gets done without arguments, and we actually save more because I'm here to cook meals from scratch instead of eating out and having to drive to a job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just do it !!!!!!!!!

dear bounty..
just do it!!!!!!!!! bee happy.
if your hubbie is ok with it, just quit the job, and do what is best for your husband and you.
I just quit my job after 20+ yrs,I have a masters degree in chemisrty,
yes some may say its wasted,I say I WILL always have my education.
I left my job a few weeks ago, I love it, my house is perfect, meals are always made, I have time to go to the gym each day,I do a few hrs at the local hospitable and library, I am not stressed out, my husband has noticed a difference.
We also do not have kids....some people have siad "oh ..must be nice , a kept women"..I say yes thankyou its very nice!!!
I stayed hard for 20 yrs,paid off our home, no credit card bills, I felt it was ok for me to leave the job I hated!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont feel guiltly, some people in the work place can be some nasty and just horrible,most likely jealous.
go for it, bee happy,you only get once chance on this earth,dont waste another moment doing something you dread each day, its not worth it..TRUST ME ON THAT ONE !!!
take care, and be happy. xxxxxxxxx

1 - 20 of 45 Posts