Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeling tired and a little sorry for myself today, being a single mom for the last 7 years.

The worst is having to do it all...I have friends that are married and they easily say my husband did _____ (insert anything you'd rather not do or don't have the time or skills to do), budgeting, car repair, worked overtime, took kids for fun, cleaned the gutters, etc. I'm always on, with out any other help.

So, not wanting to stay on that thought I was thinking was the best part of being a single mom?

For me, it's stability, I might be tired, get overwhelmed...but, we have a calm in our home, that's not impacted by someone's out of control addictions that effected us financially, emotionally and physically.

Yep, I get tired, but I sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The "price" you're paying for that stability is so worth it! You can can be a better mom and woman for it! I admite your attitude!!

Theresa :)

BTW, a little pity-party, and a good cry once in a while is good for you! Gets the bad stuff out and makes us feel better too :sun:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Good for you for stepping back and seeing the positive instead of staying in pity mode. I can't imagine doing it alone, so I say anyone who is a single parent should get a pay raise and a spa day once a month! :sun:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I did it alone for a long time but met a great guy later on. We've been together for about 17 years. Of course all the natural bumps along the way.

You have a great attitude. While your friends are telling you that hubby did ______________ and _______, they are also the friends that complain about _______________ and _____________ I would bet.

Reactions: redeme

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I did it also on my own for abut 5 years. But like you I could sleep at night knowing I did my best and my kids were safe and happy.
Learning to fix things or going to functions that was a couple thing was the hardest. I enjoyed being a single parent. Then I met my current dh after being single for 5 years. (I did know him when I was a teenager, but he was 8 years older) Enjoy your piece of mind, when the time is right someone special will come along when you least expect it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hell, I did it alone when I was married ROFLMAO

It is hard but rewarding, you always know your doing a good job and have no one there to tell you otherwise!!
Besides, aint that what they make them fun fancy lil womens toys for anyhow??!!!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those toys...

they don't fix my car, pick up a kid, make dinner.....lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay...

Penascodragonfly, you're right they do, but, I don't want that stuff. So, it drifts right by, no need to hang onto it. I'll have to try and remember it's the good with the bad. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
they don't fix my car, pick up a kid, make dinner.....lol
But they make it possible to be in a good mood when you have to do those things
ROFLMAO

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
OMG, you guys are hilarious!

Alot of us who are married, do alot alone too. Just remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence! I know, it's easier to say that than think that way. But mamamia is right, throwing a little pity party for yourself once in a while is a healthy thing to do! Thinking about what is bad, will help you remember what is good.

So here is a short list of things that are bad about relationships (if anyone else would like to chime in, feel free):
Picking up dirty socks and underwear, throughout the entire house!
Having someone there to do the "manly" chores, and you end up doing them anyway.
Gross and smelly noises at the dinner table and elsewhere.
Snoring.

I'll leave it at that for now, I'm sure there are some others that can add to the list!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah for some of us just because we are married doesnt mean we get alot of help outta them....lol. My dh works long hours, from 4 am-?? he is on call 24/7 and times it is 9 pm before he gets home and he does this 7 days per week. I also work, take the kids and and from school,trash, car main, take care of the farm animals, build shelters....lol i could list on and on so life isnt always easy for us married women either....lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would like to add to the "best parts of being single" list.

My rules, my way. No one here to walk on eggshells around or try to please. No arguments about money...it's mine and I do with it what I like. No needing to consult someone to make decisions, big or small. I have the bed all to myself, watch what I want on TV....in short...freedom to be myself!

And for me at this point in my life....the benefits FAR outweigh the bad. It's a beautiful thing.:grball:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
OMG, you guys are hilarious!

Alot of us who are married, do alot alone too. Just remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence! I know, it's easier to say that than think that way. But mamamia is right, throwing a little pity party for yourself once in a while is a healthy thing to do! Thinking about what is bad, will help you remember what is good.

So here is a short list of things that are bad about relationships (if anyone else would like to chime in, feel free):
Picking up dirty socks and underwear, throughout the entire house!
Having someone there to do the "manly" chores, and you end up doing them anyway.
Gross and smelly noises at the dinner table and elsewhere.
Snoring.

I'll leave it at that for now, I'm sure there are some others that can add to the list!

Adding....

- doesn't know how to aim....so pee around the toilet all the time
- the worst patients when sick
- don't hear a word spoken until it is something you don't want them to know

·
Registered
160 Posts
At least you guys have someone to help if you absolutely needed it. I'm guessing most of those husbands are also bringing in income? It's not the same ladies.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your right, I'm out of work and there's no one else that is bring in an income. It's all my deal...how I'm going to make it is solely up to me. It's a lot to carry sometimes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, I just found it to be very insulting for the married ladies to talk AND JOKE about how little their husbands help when a little help is better than none.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts