Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Cingular/ATT cell phone contract is up, yay!! We've been paying $80 a month for two phones (the other one has been missing for months now but we still have to pay for it ugh) that are rarely ever used, only for emergencies and very quick phone calls every few days. So I'm thinking about getting one of those prepaid cell phones but not sure which ones are good. Anyone? :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh let me clarify.. DH is getting a cell phone through his work so he's covered, I'm the only one "needing" one and would hardly ever use it. I just want one for emergencies, I drive an older car with a baby with me at all times and would hate to get stuck in the side of the road without a phone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got a refurbished phone from Cingular. It was 19.99 with free shipping plus it came with $10 worth of minutes. It is .25 per minute and when the minutes run out, you just buy more. I bought it in Feb and still have minutes left. I only use it for something important.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have Cingular Pre Paid.... my "plan" on pre paid is 10 cents a minute... but the first call you make for the day has a $1.00 surcharge. Every call I make to another Cingular customer is free, which is good for me because everyone in my extended family has Cingular. I put $100 on the thing in the beginning of February, and I still have $50 bucks left on it... I have been doing a lot of text messaging and traveling in these past few months.

·
8,714 Posts
~We have Virgin phones. The phones were $20 each and we pay $20 every three months for each of them. Works out to $14 a month for both. If you need a phone for just 911 emergencies you can use ANY phone(if it's charged) regardless of whether it's on a plan or not. I saw that tip on the news.~

·
Registered
233 Posts
We have Virgin Mobile also. If you register your debit or credit card on their website, they'll debit your account $15 every 90 days or whenever your minutes run low ($15.75 w/tax).

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a tracphone, we had virgin mobile before and found that we weren't able to get service very well. With my tracphone I have better service then my dh does, when he is home to use his nextell he has to go outside, I have also found that the minute cards are cheaper at Sams Club, they run a couple dollars less for the same amount of minutes then Target or Walmart. Sams Club also has a tracphone that is $20, comes with 60 minutes of airtime, and if you activate your phone online you get another free 30 minutes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We also have a tracfone and it works good. I end up buying the 1 yr card ($100) so I don't have to bother about making sure I renew every so many days. I also renew online and quite often they will have specials where if you buy the1 yr card you can get extra minutes free. With them it's 1 unit per minute unless your in roaming.. then it's 2 units per minute.

My husband just got a Boost Mobile (Nextel) from a co-worker of his. (She doesn't use it anymore) It's .20/min during the day and then at night it's .10.min. You also get unlimited 2 way, but they do charge you $1 a day when you use it. You don't pay extra for roaming or long distance.. which is nice. Oh yeah.. if I remember right if you do call another nextel customer it's only .10/min no matter what time it is. I'm thinking when our tracfone expires in Oct we will be getting another Boost Mobile.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have had T-Mobile To Go for more than a year now and I've been very happy with them. When I was looking at moving to a prepaid phone, I found that many companies had additional charges besides the minutes. There are some that charge a flat fee on the days you use the phone. T-Mobile was one that didn't have any other fees. I was also looking for a company that didn't have all the minutes expire in 90 days either. When I got the phone, I put 100.00 for 1000 minutes and the minutes expired 1 year from the time it was activited---the 1000 minutes lasted the whole year for me. When I did this, I then qualified for Gold Rewards status, which automatically gave me an addition 15% on the 1000 minutes. Also, any refill minutes that I put on the phone and any of my unused minutes have a new expiration date of 1 year. Now, it has been a little while since I have looked at all the plans out there, so it's possible that things have change. Good luck with your search!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I used to have a tracfone. It worked great. I paid $100 for the yearly "contract" with 250 minutes. Sometimes they offer deals for more minutes for the same price.

I was traveling a lot out of our area, so it would used double minutes/units and I would run out fast.

I just got t-mobil prepaid. I paid $120 for the phone and 1000 minutes. I've since seen a deal at Target for the same phone/minutes for $85. The phones are 29.99 at walmart and I can't remember how much the minute cards are. I'm much happier with the t-mobil.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone for their input. :)

I ended up ordering a gophone from Cingular ($29.99) which came with $10 worth minutes. I chose the $.25/minute plan with no addictional charges, I bet the $10 will last me forever (before it expires) so I'm very happy with this deal. I'm sure DH will be happy to get rid of a $80 monthly bill. :D

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I bought DH a Tracfone for Christmas. He has been very happy with it. I just bought one for myself at Target last week. It cost $25.48 and came with 80 minutes of airtime. Neither one of us talk on the phone much at all, so we don't spend much on the cell phone minutes. It is much cheaper for us than having a monthly bill. Less than $10 per phone per month.

It was great having the phone when I took a trip to Denver recently. My phone worked great there, and I could call DH in Wichita. It does charge double minutes for "roaming", but my calls are all pretty short.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
There are quite a few options but really depends on your needs:

If you looking to add money once every 3 months then Virgin Mobile is the perfect one to use.

Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. require that you add money every 30 days. I have had T-mobile and the service was great just had to always spend $10 per phone per month no matter what even if you have money on there. Once you reach $100 (or have put $100 on the phone) you automatically qualify for Gold Minutes, this means you minutes dont expire for a full year (no more adding money unless you need to!) + you get 15% more of the value you add ($10 $20, etc..)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My Fiance and I both have trac phones.
I called Dallas Texas the other day and it was clear as a bell.
I spend $20.00 a month

1 - 15 of 15 Posts