Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the pros and cons of the various pressure canners out there? What do I need to know to buy one? Which one would you recommend?

I bought a secondhand pressure cooker the other day, only to be told a cooker is different than a canner! So now I am interested in purchasing a pressure canner.

ETA: never mind, answered my own question. Did an online search and found out the only difference is size. As I'm only canning jelly jars and smaller things, the pressure cooker will do just fine. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
For people that find this thread in the future, I prefer the All-American Canner.

All American Pressure Canner

Yes, that site is a bit expensive, they are a bit cheaper elsewhere. However, they do not require gaskets. This means you do not have to worry about improper sealing in the future. It uses a weight, so you do not have to worry about calibrating a pressure gauge. I prefer the way the lid is held on, it seems more secure than other pressure canners.

·
4,028 Posts
bumping

:bump:

Thank you for the question and answers. I'm doing some online research for a pressure canner today and am finding the information on FV very helpful.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Those are some great looking pressure canners!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've read that you're not supposed to can small batches in a pressure cooker. (I'm very bummed about this!) The reasoning is that the heat up and cool down times are part of the cooking process to assure the middle of the food gets hot enough to be safe, and that the pressure cookers are too small and heat/cool too fast to allow the middle of the food to get hot enough. It gripes me, but it makes sense too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts