Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I like to use credit cards instead of debit/cash so I can earn rewards or cash back on things I buy. What rewards/rebate cards do you have and what do you like about it?

I have an Amazon card right now but don't use Amazon much anymore, and my old eBay points card years ago switched to a generic points card. I was thinking about switching my Amazon Chase card to the Chase Freedom card. Anyone have this?

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I get the time I will also switch my regular card to a chase freedom. I just haven't had time and already have 2 rewards card. From what I've read there are no fees and it seems like a very good card but I'd rather ask about it on the phone before I get it.

My two other cards are Mypoints visa and Exxon Mastercard. Every little bit helps. The most it seems any card will give you without having to pay fees is usually 3 percent for certain items and 1 percent for everything else. It definitely adds up compared to using regular cards. You don't pay fees so why not get a card that gives you more.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I don't know the Chase Freedom card, but the card I use all the time is Chase Rewards. It gives me 5% cash back on gas, grocery stores, and drugstores, and 1% on everything else. At 5000 points, $50, you can request a check or other rewards. I always take the money! With the 5% (and gas going higher and higher!) it always adds up more quickly than I expect it to.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We use our Toys R Us Chase Mastercard all the time.... we put most of our monthly stuff (gas, groceries) on it, but keep it paid off every month, just to collect the points. We earn Toys R Us gift certificates. Last year we paid for a large portion of Christmas that way!

p.s. Some of you might remember a while back when I was contacted by the credit company about my credit card number being stolen and used online.... it was this card. They caught the fradulent charges within 24 hours, took care of them right away, and it was no hassle at all for me. I've been impressed with their service!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far it sounds like the Chase Freedom is still my best bet. There's not one place I shop a lot (well, there's eBay, but like I said that card stopped giving eBay points) so I'd like something with rewards like cash or gift certificates to several places. A 3% rate is also the best I've seen. 5% on the Chase Rewards? Wow.

·
8,714 Posts
~I have a Chase too. It earns 4% on gas purchases and 1% elsewhere. No fees. Rewards are only Wawa gift cards which we use to purchase gas. The Chase Rewards card sounds better for us...might look into it. We just got through a disputed charge on our card(dang AOL is soooo unscrupulous) and they handled it quickly and to our satisfaction. Nice experience, service-wise. Are there any fees on a Chase Rewards card?~

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I just looked at the Chase site, and apparently the rewards card I have isn't being offered any more. I had an old ATT card with this same deal; they were bought out by Citibank, and last summer Citibank discontinued the card. I was in the market for a new one when I got a letter from Chase (I bank with them) offering this rewards card, and I took them up on it. Am I ever glad I did. From the site, I wonder if it is still offered to customers by letter. If you bank with Chase, you might give them a call and see if it is still available.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I applied for the Chase Freedom card and was approved. Yay! I had meant to use up my Amazon card till I reached the next gift card and then switch it to Chase Freedom, but I found a link on the Chase site to received $250 cash back with your 1st purchase! So I applied immediately. Of course then I saw that it's for new Chase customers only. No $250 for me. Oh well, I wanted the card anyway.

I may tuck away the physical Amazon card, but keep it linked to Amazon just for online Amazon purchases (3% back there) since I buy most of my textbooks on Amazon so I may as well earn rewards eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As for today, I am using only debit cards,
And I am in dilamo of using credit cards, since i am a craze in shoping...
Could anyone advice me please?

·
Registered
102 Posts
As for today, I am using only debit cards,
And I am in dilamo of using credit cards, since i am a craze in shoping...
Could anyone advice me please?
Debit cards are usually attached to a checking acct, if I'm not mistaken. check with your bank if you have OVERDRAFT protection in your acct. If you do, tell them you don't want it. why? overdraft protection is to their advantage because in the event you have no more money and you use your debit card, the bank will still pay for the purchase(s) up to a certain amount, and then charge you penalty plus the cost of the purchase(s). Whereas if you don't have overdraft protection, the worse that can happen is wherever you use your DC, they will just deny the transaction for lack of funds (although that info will not appear in the cash register, it will just prompt the cashier that the transaction didn't go through). So if you forget your budget when shopping, when funds run out of your acct, the store(s) will not take your card so you know its time to quit.

Debit cards from USBank earn .25% cash reward if you use it like a CC, i.e. non PIN purchase, so check that out although cashback reward is very little, it still adds up since their free checking acct don't earn interest.

Using a DC is much like using a CC, the only difference is money goes straight out of your acct for whatever you pay for and you don't pay interests on the purchases while using CC, you get a monthly bill which you can choose to either pay in full or installments. We all need to have discipline to use both to keep us out of debt.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
We are going to switch to the Chase Freedom card. We have the ToysRUs Chase card right now. I get gift cards that I use for diapers (never paid a red cent for a diaper yet after 3 kids!). But when we get to the next 1000.00 to get the next card - we are switching over to the Freedom card.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts