Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share their favorite vacation spot?

Frugal or Splurge?

:sun::rcloud::thunder:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The best vacation I ever had was when we drove to PA Amish country.
It was such a beautiful place. Well kept, neat. You could tell the people took pride in their homes.

I just wanted to stay there.
We visited Hershey Park - children were young then.
We HAD to visit Intercourse and Blue Balls just to say we did. We just found it all to be so pretty.

That was a frugal trip. We camped. And cooked on the grill.

A splurge- last year (5k)... DH and I went to Hilton Head SC for 10 days of golf. We stayed at the Marriot right on the beach. We walked the beach each morning to see the beautiful sunrises... and we picked out our future retirement home! LOL!

We were kicking and screaming the whole way home. Didn't want to leave.

Reactions: earthymom

·
Registered
639 Posts
My best vacation was...
when I was young we camped alot, and I always loved that, but I'd say the best was when I was 13 and my brothers flew me to Texas for a month, I spent a couple weeks with each of them. My first trip by myself. The planes were not packed, so I remember spreading out and reading. I learned alot on that trip, it was a great experience.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I was 9 my parents and I went to Disney World. We saved a lot of money by not staying in a hotel. We stayed at a campground owned by Disney, I think it was called "Fort Wilderness." Anyway, it was unbelievable and I wish I could do it again.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I think the best vacation was when we went to Disney for the first time. We were going to stay for 5 days and decided on staying for 7. We didn't want to leave. We had such a great time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There were several camping trips when my children were younger that stand out as wonderful. One of the best was in the Land-o-Lakes part of N. Wisconsin -- that was where I taught them to fish.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have two vacations that stand out in my mind. Maui last year on my husband's and my 30th anniversary and one a couple of years ago when we drove route 66. Both were fabulous!

·
Registered
501 Posts
My favorite vacation ever was a few years ago when we spent 10 days in Edinburgh and London. It wasn't a frugal trip, but we did go when DH was traveling there regularly, so the company paid for his airfare and hotel but he did have to work some of the time we were in Edinburgh. We stayed on the street in between the palace and castle, so the kids and I would wake up every morning and hit the streets just to explore. One night we all toured Mary Kings Close, a tour under the city. It was all an amazing whirlwind and the best time we've ever had on vacation. We may never spend the money on a trip like that again, but it was worth every bit we spent.

·
Registered
373 Posts
One of the best holidays was a couple of years ago in Tunisia. It was very exotic and so different. We visited old Karthago ruins, Tunisian capital Tunis, those cavehomes where some of the Star Wars was filmed and ofcourse Sahara. We had a very good tour guide, who told us so much. We learned about history, politics, religion, nature, living habits and so on. It was very educational but also a lot of fun. Those beaches were great and the weather was hot. We were there during Ramadan, so that was interesting too. The day we left, Ramadan ended and it was nice to see families celebrating.
Going to a Tunisian market place with camel heads hanging on the wall, was a bit too exotic, but still very interesting.
Oh, and the food, it was delicious.
Frugal? Cheaper than western countries, but still not very frugal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As a kid, it was a trip to Disneyworld...can't wait to go back one day!

As an adult, my favorite trip was a road trip from northern Manitoba to Southern BC. For the first time, I was the responsible adult planning and driving, alone, with my two kids. We visited family all the way there and back, it was awesome!

·
Registered
933 Posts
we just got back from Estes Park Co. and we did not want to leave. it was 76, there was still snow on the mountains, elk, bighorn sheep and mule deer wandering down the roads. we rented a cabin about a mile from the entrance to the rocky mtn. national park and my son had a blast feeding the chipmunks that would come to your feet begging. personal jacuzzi, it had its own kitchen..... it was just great. we've already decided we're going to go back again next year.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We took a family cruise a few years ago. Not exactly a frugal vacation but so much fun. They had great programs for the kids, excellent food that I did not have to cook or clean up. Our steward did a great job of keeping our cabin tidy. It was absolutely stress-free for me. We visited 4 different countries and found something fun to do at each one. We have another cruise booked for next year. My dd will be 17 and we figure it will be the last big vacation for us all together.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Miami, not frugal at all but hey I had to do it! It was snowing here in Colorado while in the 80s in Miami, perfect weather. Was so awesome to wake up and go outside to the beach behind my hotel!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I love cruises! Not frugal at all, but so fun. We went on one for our Honeymoon 3 yrs ago. Then we went on one this year over our 3rd anniversary in April. Our first was to the Western Caribbean (Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman Island; Labadee, Haiti) then our next was Mexican Riviera (Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan) I highly recommend it, but again it is not frugal so maybe a fun treat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hands down was Disney 3 yrs ago!

We went with my sister and her family and my parents, we stayed in some cabins on Disney property. We had an absolute blast together. My kids still talk about it. We hope to someday do this again.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Best splurge vacation: Egypt. It was so awesome to see all the pyramids, tombs and everything.

Best frugal vacation: Scotland. When DH and I were living in England, we rented a small remote cottage deep in the Scottish Highlands. We brought a cooler with food and just walked around the deer preserve the cottage was on and drove around looking at the stunning landscape

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I guess the best vacation we've had is a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. It was for our 35th anniversary and was great !

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I guess mine would have to have been a week at Park Royal in Cozumel, Mexico. We went scuba diving 2 of the days we were there, the food was really good, the resort was excellent and we had it almost completely to ourselves. We spent many hours seaside just watching the sunsets, the waves, the cruise ships....it was bliss. (not frugal, but not too bad either)

And I have to say that cruising is a pretty darned good value for your vacation dollar if you're gonna spend about that much anyway. Where else can you get your room, your meals (YUM, great meals), entertainment and wake up in a different country everyday for around $100-125 per person per day? We love to cruise. :boat:

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
My favorite vacation ever was a few years ago when we spent 10 days in Edinburgh and London. It wasn't a frugal trip, but we did go when DH was traveling there regularly, so the company paid for his airfare and hotel but he did have to work some of the time we were in Edinburgh. We stayed on the street in between the palace and castle, so the kids and I would wake up every morning and hit the streets just to explore. One night we all toured Mary Kings Close, a tour under the city. It was all an amazing whirlwind and the best time we've ever had on vacation. We may never spend the money on a trip like that again, but it was worth every bit we spent.
Ooh I would love to see Scotland someday :mushy:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine was a quasi-frugal splurge about 5 years ago when I was in college. I went for 7 weeks summer backpacking alone in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, and Lithuania (via Poland). It was probably one of the best things I have done period. When I got on the plane to come back, I seriously thought that if the plane crashed, I would have been very satisfied with my life and OK.

Somehow, I got a husband out the trip. Wasn't planning on that. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts