Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to clean dust, dustbunnies, cat hair, etc, from hard to reach areas like behind bookshelves, under appliances, radiators, etc.? Often these areas also have a few cables and cords running along them as well.

Of course, I move the items out of the way to do a proper cleaning, but I would like to clean out any loose debris on a more frequent basis.

The worst case scenarios are small areas which I can only access from the top, and not from underneath or the sides. I was thinking of getting a vacuum, but I thought there must be a non-electric/expensive way to clean those areas. And I am not sure a vacuum would reach all the areas I am thinking of anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :lip:

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I use the wand on my vacuum. If the appliance cannot be moved or the crack is smaller than my wand I don't worry about it. ::D:

·
4,028 Posts
I use a yardstick that has a felt "sleeve" sewn for it with an inch of extra felt on each side. I use this to get under fridge and stoves.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Old sock secured to the end of a broom handle. I like Ceashel's better though. Narrower.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I use the wand on my vacuum. If the appliance cannot be moved or the crack is smaller than my wand I don't worry about it. ::D:
I tend to do this too.......until today....when I lost a tiny piece of paper down between where the monitor sits and the tower....about a two inch space with cords...........I almost choked to death on all the dust bunnies when I was under my desk crawling around on my hands and knees!! :yikes:

I WILL clean it tomorrow!!!

Thanks Ceashels.......that is a great idea!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The yardstick ideas are close to what I was thinking about.

I noticed that there are few varieties of semi-flexible sticks with swiffer/duster/microfibre heads available, and thought there might be some that would work well for getting those hard to reach dustbunnies, etc.

A full-size vacuum wand is too unwieldy to get into the areas I am thinking of. However, I did consider getting a hand vacuum with a hose attachment. I couldn't figure out which model would do the job well though, and at a decent price. ;)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i bought a brush type thing with bristles designed to clean under the fridge but i use it for everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts