Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago, I picked up a 7 place (almost 8 place - I think one piece is missing) setting of Pickard Greenbriar at a church rummage sale for a very low cost. We don't use this setting often if at all. Pricing this out at replacements.com gives a replacement cost of $1,100 - 1,500. What is the best way to maximize proceeds if we decide to sell this? What is a fair price to expect to receive? Should it be sold as a set or parted out? We don't need the proceeds to survive, so we can afford to wait a bit if needed for better price.

Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you can, get it appraised at an antique store and see what they will give you. I would sell the whole set together. It would be a pain to sell it bit by bit. That way you are over and done with it. Do a little research and see what the going price is. Since you do not need it right now, you have time to figure out what the best situation is for you. Just don't expect to get full price for them.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a nice china set to that I have been dying to sell. At replacements.com or whatever it is the stuff is priced at about $1500 for all the stuff I have. I went to several antique stores and they said oh no, we don't take this.

It says Fine China Grant Crest, so I am not sure what to tell you because I can't get rid of mine either.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
China and such will be hard to sell right now. Ebay tends to sell cheaper stuff but I would still sell it there. I would also advertise on amazon and freecycle. I disagree. You will make more if you sell it by place setting. Time it one after the other on ebay. I would have it appraised first also.
I am currently overloaded w/ Pfaltzgraf Winterberry china and about every accessory. FOR SALE too.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You will not get the prices that you find on Replacements.com. Go out on eBay and do a search for your pattern and see IF and how much it is selling for. Also your china will need to be in MINT condition with no scratches, chips, etc. to even begin to get good prices.

IF there is a market for your pattern, you would do best to sell it by the piece or place setting. eBay has the eyes of the buyers, BUT the buyers are looking for a bargain. So I would not expect to get a lot for china.

FYI - I am a long time buyer and selling on eBay. I and a friend used to selling china and glassware. The market just isn't there anymore UNLESS your pattern is RARE and hard to find.

Also you have to take into consideration that you have to pack and ship the china so it will not be damaged in shipping. I can not tell you how many times I have received boxes that the seller thinks they packed well and everything was shattered.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
You will not get the prices that you find on Replacements.com. Go out on eBay and do a search for your pattern and see IF and how much it is selling for. Also your china will need to be in MINT condition with no scratches, chips, etc. to even begin to get good prices.

IF there is a market for your pattern, you would do best to sell it by the piece or place setting. eBay has the eyes of the buyers, BUT the buyers are looking for a bargain. So I would not expect to get a lot for china.

FYI - I am a long time buyer and selling on eBay. I and a friend used to selling china and glassware. The market just isn't there anymore UNLESS your pattern is RARE and hard to find.

Also you have to take into consideration that you have to pack and ship the china so it will not be damaged in shipping. I can not tell you how many times I have received boxes that the seller thinks they packed well and everything was shattered.

Good Luck!
All good advice!
I'm an antique dealer and I am sorry to say but there is No market for china right now. Unless it is very rare and in MINT condition you probably won't find a buyer at this time. At auction I saw a very nice complete mint set of ruby glass dishes sell for $5.00. It should have brought in around 500.00

My advice is to hang on to it until things bounce back.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I forgot to mention, it's always more profitable to sell by the piece.Most collectors are only looking for certain pieces.But it will take more time to sell all of it and you could end up with a few left over .If someone wishes to buy the entire set then you could give them a discount for buying it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts