Votes: 8 40.0%
  • $26 or more

Votes: 7 35.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am not proud of it, but we went & bought a Yukon XL a couple years ago almost & the gas bill is KILLING me. Taking the kids to classes, church & grocery shopping is about it, but at 11 mpg, I'm stumped.
Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or tricks to better gas mileage??? :confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
How to use less gas?

Drive that gas hog less? Trade it in on something like a Toyota Prius? I dunno. They make smaller SUVs that get lots better mileage. There is no safety advantage for you in driving a behemoth, contrary to popular belief, but you sure as s--- will kill the person you hit while driving it. So it looks like there are a lot of downsides to owning it and few upsides....................just my 2 c worth..............

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I think I'd trade it in on something that was better on gas mileage if you did a lot of running around :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I will add my 2 cents, I don't have advice but it isn't just so easy to trade it in for something smaller, I mean we have 4 kids so that makes 6 of us all together so no car will fit us we need van or big SUV, so trading in and going smaller sounds like a good idea but not all of us can do that....

AS for advice I don't have any, we have a van that is okay on gas but I also don't drive besides to the kids school and back most of the time and that is just about 2 miles each way...
Eileen

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Re: How to use less gas?

Originally posted by kestrel91316
So it looks like there are a lot of downsides to owning it and few upsides....................just my 2 c worth..............
Wow- I take it Gayle doesn't like SUVs, but I do!  :) 

We don't get any harassment for driving them locally, because we live in the land of big trucks and probably 50% or more of the cars in any parking lot around here are either huge full-sized pickup trucks or some form of SUV.  

We drive two SUVs.... and haven't found any tricks yet to save on gas.  I've read that it helps if you carry less weight (ie: don't keep the trunk area loaded down all the time), but I doubt that makes a whole lot of difference.  We figure it's the price we pay for vehicles that we love, and we budget accordingly. Don't apologize for buying the vehicle of your choice.  ;)   We drove them before they became so popular these last few years, too. 

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Keep your tires inflated and try to make all your trips at once. You might want to talk to your mechanic maybe he knows something. We own a Dodge truck which is known for it's terrible mileage but 11 mpg is terrible.

P.S. I drive a Dodge Neon to compensate.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Re: Re: How to use less gas?

AmyMCGS said:
We don't get any harassment for driving them locally, because we live in the land of big trucks and probably 50% or more of the cars in any parking lot around here are either huge full-sized pickup trucks or some form of SUV.
Don't apologize for buying the vehicle of your choice.
I agree. Btw, dh and I own a Chevy Suburban and a Jeep Cherokee. I wouldn't want to be without them.
As far as harrassment goes, most of the politically correct crowd would be afraid to confront us to our face. They just expect us hillbillies to be gun toting nuts. lol

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I drive a 1974 four-wheel drive suburban. We get 10 miles a gallon. I try to consolidate my errands or run them after Ken gets home so I can use our gas efficient car. Our "work" car is a 1989 Nissan Sentra that gets 30 miles a gallon. During nice weather, Ken drives his motorcycle (45 miles per gallon) and I get the Nissan which helps out alot.

We bought the suburban when I was pregnant with the twins. We needed something that would hold three large car seats since the oldest turned two just before the twins were born. We just budget for the extra gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure you check your air filter, replace your fuel filter, if you plan on keeping it for awhile you might try a cold air induction kit for about $180 it might increase it 1-2mpg. definitely check your tires, i checked mine on my F-150 one time to find they were 10lbs low and picked up 1.5 mpg.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Originally posted by corinnelogan
So, I am not proud of it, but we went & bought a Yukon XL a couple years ago almost & the gas bill is KILLING me. Taking the kids to classes, church & grocery shopping is about it, but at 11 mpg, I'm stumped.
Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or tricks to better gas mileage??? :confused:
While having word done on my car at ford we looked at the new ford escape hybrid. Great gas milage! Better than my car. Price was prohibitive though.

Could you trade it in for something more fuel efficient?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Drive that gas hog less? Trade it in on something like a Toyota Prius? I dunno. They make smaller SUVs that get lots better mileage. There is no safety advantage for you in driving a behemoth, contrary to popular belief, but you sure as s--- will kill the person you hit while driving it. So it looks like there are a lot of downsides to owning it and few upsides....................just my 2 c worth..............

So I wasn't looking for a lecture, but that seems to be what I got...

I would like to correct Gail though, in the area of safety. There are HUGE advantages to driving a larger vehicle. Just as she stated if you were driving a smaller vehicle, your chances of survival are less, especially if your car does not have safety features like airbags & anti lock brakes, etc.

I would love to drive a compact enviro friendly car, but tell me how I can pull a trailer with it. How can I chauffer around not only my children, but the foster children I care for, pack in the Costco groceries & more??? I AM looking to see if anyone out there has any advice on increasing gas mileage in these large rigs. Trading in at this point seems stupid -- paying $30K for a vehicle 2 years ago (which the balance is down to about $2K) and then getting $12K as a trade in value would be the opitomy of stupid.

SSSOOO - let's get off the soap boxes & offer some helpful & practical suggestions to increase gas mileage -- for ALL vehicles!!
Corinne

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Lets be careful as to how we post. Everyone has their own opinion about different size cars, but please don't criticize others because they might own a bigger vehicle. Some have no choice as to the size of vehicle they have. We had to go to a 7 passenger van because dh is 6'3" and ds is 6'4". A small car just didn't work.

Corrine, we have a 7 passenger van and it really eats up the gas. Our gas is also 92.5¢ a litre right now. So far we've done the following to save on gas.

~we have to travel 1 hr one way to shop in the city. We try to make one trip per week and do everything that day so that were not making several trips per week. We also have to travel to the library (until ours opens) and we have to travel to doctor appointments. Again we try to have everything done on the same day (if possible).

~we don't use our a/c unless absolutely necessary.

~don't drive with your windows open. Use your air vent if you need some cool air.

~make sure your tires are properly inflated. Even one not being the right amount will cause more gas to be used. We always check our manufacturing book to check out what the air pressure should be at.

~change your oil at every 5,000 kms (3,000 miles). It makes a huge difference and always make sure you have a clean air filter. Its amazing how quickly those get dirty.

I notice you also travel with foster children. When we fostered for 6 years, our agency paid for part of our gas. We kept track of our miles when we took the foster children to appointments. They paid for part of the mileage. Do you have that option?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have 3 children with a 4th on the way, 3 out of are in booster seats and carseats, so we need space. We drive a Chevy Suburban and use it as our primary family car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been thinking about gas mileage lately, too. I found a government website about it at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

They have a section for fuel economy tips, plus you can look up your model and year and see what kind of mileage you're supposed to be getting. I looked our cars up and am trying to track our actual mileage. I figure I'll be able to see if I'm doing about as well as I can, or whether it's time to start doing things like checking tire pressure.

You can also search to find out things like SUVs that get the best mileage.

T

·
0 Posts
Ok, just had to add my 2 cents in here. I'm not a big fan of SUV's myself, but I hold a grudge more against the people that drive them because they have become status symbols. I can fully understand people that have large families and/or need that much storage in their vehicles, but around here (I'm in New England) it seems that most SUV's are driven by yuppy couples with no kids. And what drives me most crazy in is the winter when they think that just because that have an SUV, they can still do 65 mph when there's a foot of snow on the ground! Anyways, just my small rant. DH has a Chevy Blazer, and he does use the storage space.

I think that factoring in gas milage should be part of your consideration when you purchase your car. DH and I both own our cars (He has the Chevy Blazer, I have a small Nissan Sentra) and we will need to replace his in the next year or two. We have debated getting a hybrid car. I want my next car to be the Honda S2000 convertible. Storage space? None. Gas Mileage? About 20 mpg, not too great. Space for future family? Umm.. its a two seater. I may get this car anyway, but at least its these things I'm considering up-front before its purchased. I think if I were trying to fit in a large number of people my options would be an SUV, a van/minivan, or station wagon, and I don't believe any of them get great gas mileage. Probably because they are big vehicles, but lets face it, it has to be big to hold that many people!

My tips on better gas mileage are:
1. Keep your tires properly inflated
2. Don't carry too much weight if you can help it
3. Plan your errands so that you can get everything done most efficiently in one trip
4. Watch gas prices - I go to the Mobile station near me every other Sunday. They have $.05 off on Sundays. Its still not the cheapest (today it was $2.15, the station 5 miles away was $2.14) but they also have milk for $2.19 a gallon every day. So I get milk and gas every Sunday. (On a side note, I am an ExxonMobile shareholder, so I figure this helps my investment too! :D )
5. Get a "tune-up". Check your oil filter, air filter, sparkplugs, etc. on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Our family vehical is a Chevy Suburban but it now sits in our garage uninsured waiting for my Dh to be employed again. We simply cannot afford gas for it. So what we did was we bought an ancient honda 1982 as a second car (it was $600) and my husbands car is a 1989 honda. These 2 vehicals are very inexpensive to run in comparison to the Chevy. Both cars together cost us about $150/month and the Chevy costs us about $300/month by itself!!!! We have 3 children and often have 1 or two exchange students living with us. If we are going somewhere as a family and we have guests we take both cars.
We may insure the Chevy for a couple of months in the summer to go camping and use for pulling our trailer for yard work and then the insurance will be removed again.
So perhaps you can find a smaller super cheap vehical that will fit just you and your children for daily errands (when your Dh isn't around). And use the Yukon only when Dh is going along with all the children? I know it is extra insurance but you may find that you save so much in gas that the extra insurance is paid for many times over! That is what we figured out in our case.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Corrine,

I don't think Gayle was critizing (sp) you. We really didn't have all your info about children etc... until your second post. ;)

On that note, I too drive an SUV. It is a Honda CRV and gets about 32 mpg. Much smaller than your Yukon, but when I purchased it, I was driving 35 miles each way to work every night (11pm - 7am) alone on a pretty deserted highway and I was tired and scared of looking under tractor trailers! :yikes:

I realize not all of us live in the city and can walk to work or stores, so we do what we have to do.The ladies have given you some excellent advice. I too have to travel pretty far just to grocery shop, so I try and combine trips and make it a day of errands. Also CJ is right, keeping your oil changed according to your manufacturer is wonderful advice along with checking air and fuel filters and tire pressure.

Hope some of this helps you as gas prices just seem to keep going up and up! :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too drive an SUV. I have three children and in the state of Illinois, you are required to have children in car seats until they are eight or 80 lbs. We searched for a car that allowed us to safely store a wagon and a double stroller and the Suburban was the only car that had that much storage capacity. Now the gas is killing me. Now my youngest uses a walker, so we will not be getting rid of it any time soon.

I think everyone here has stated everything possible to do for better gas mileage (even some things that I haven't thought of.) Since I cannot control gas prices, I treat my gas money just like my grocery money. I budget a certain amount every month then I use it accordingly. Needless to say I am now looking for a bike trailer and desperately trying to teach my six year old how to ride a two wheeler.;)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I drive a VW Jetta diesel and the gas mileage is great. I get 45 mpg highway and probably 35 streets. I drive this basically because I dont feel comfortable in something larger, but I so wish that I had something that I could pack up for camping trips or better yet that I could pull a pop-up trailer with. I love my Jetta and would buy another without reservation or hesitation. It is by far the best investment I have ever made, plus driving it is SO much fun~

I do not understand how society criticizes those that choose to drive big vehicles or when those that were opposed to these kinds of vehicles were vandalizing them. There are so many other important issues to deal with.

Good for you if you can afford it, but if you ever really consider a smaller car, I just heqard this morning that the new Jettas rated VERY high in safety and are under 21,000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for the many great tips & hints - I really do appreciate them!!!
Corinne

1 - 20 of 23 Posts