Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In The Tightwad Gazette III which I am reading for the first time, she talks about a recipe from Betty Crocker Refrigerator Dough. She says it is ready to use in 8 hours and lasts for 5 days in the refrigerator. She also talks abotu using it to make biscuits, rolls, dougnuts, etc. Does anyone have the recipe for the dough and the directions for the biscuits and stuff using the dough? Thanks so much! :chef:

·
Registered
445 Posts
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 1/2 c warm water
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 c shortening
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes
7 to 7 1/2 c AP flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough onto lightly floured board, knead till smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly, refrigerate at least 8 hours or till ready to use.(Dough cam be kept 5 days in frig. or @ 45 degrees or below. Keep covered)
Punch down dough, divide into 4 parts. Use 1/4 of dough in each of the variations. Let rise 1 1/2 hours before baking. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls 15 to 25 minutes.
Shape into:
Cloverleafs, Cresents, Fan tans, 4 leaf clovers, pan biscuits, parker house, casserole shapes. Probably the same way as other recipes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!!!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thank you! I have been looking for this recipe too ever since I read her book at Christmas! It makes a lot of dough, I wonder if it's possible to freeze any of it? It's just the two of us here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts