Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go to an eye doctor and they give you a prescription for bi-focals, ask if they are really necessary.

This past month, my Dr. gave me a prescription for bi-focals and after my asking questions, when all was said and done ...

I was told that my over-the-counter reading glasses would work fine as long as I could see out of them okay to read, do needlepoint, etc.

They will not hurt your eyes [I was told this by several eye doctor's offices because I don't take just one persons word, I always ask for a 2nd or 3rd opinion to be sure.]

When all was said and done the total amount saved? Nearly $200.00!

I already had my over-the-counter reading glasses I'd bought 6-8 months ago for $16.99 and the price of the bi-focals were just over $200.00. What a savings!

Love,

Jennelle

P.S. Of course, I am not a doctor - nor am I trying to give medical advice ...

What I am doing though is to let you know this so if you're like me, you'll ask questions to see if you could use the cheaper ones without any problems.

I wish that I would have asked this question 2 years ago when I bought my first pair of bi-focals 'cuz it would've saved me a bunch of money!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I had a similar experience here last August. My eye Dr suggested bi-focals so I gave it a try, but just couldn't get used to them. Three weeks later I went back and had it taken out. I then went to Walmart and picked up some over the counter reading glasses. It's kind of a pain switching between the two glasses, but I'm dealing with it. I have to have my reading glasses, but I only need the other pair for driving, and sometimes watching tv.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Yes a very good idea, my DH uses glasses for reading, so he just bought the over-the-counter ones and they work just fine. :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I got bifocals a couple of years ago and hated them. So, when I was eligible for new glasses I aked for reading glasses instead. I can see at a distance fairly well and felt that as long as I can see while driving I would be ok. I like my reading glasses and think next time I will get my new pair at WM or CVS or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts