Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Bias Tape for and what can I do with it?

I got alot of this stuff from MIL also and not sure what to do with it. Help?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ... I'll check it out now. :)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under Bias Tape it just shows how to make HM bias tape.
When I search for bias tape nothing comes up.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL Those are both the same article. :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Sherry I use double fold bias tape almost exclusively. I use it on alot of home decor things. Placemats, potholders, appliance covers etc.

If you make wider bias strips (not tape) you can encase rope or cording inside and make your own matching cording for chair cushions or slipcovers.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oooo! Diana! Thanks!
I am making new shams (quilted ones!) for our pillows right now and was wondering what I could do around the edge to dress them up... I could do the cording thing, huh? :D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
You have started doing so many things Sherry, you are such an inspiration !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Yes Sherry you can use the same fabric or a contrasting one.

Before you make your strips, take a piece of the cording and place inside wrap around the cord. Then you will need 1/2" for each side. Example, 1 1/4" around the cord plus 1/2", plus 1/2" to equal 2 1/4" wide bias strips.

When all strips are cut and seamed together place the cord in the center, using a zipper foot stitch the fabric together encasing the cord, go up snug as you can to the cord.

On the right side of one of the pillow tops, pin the cording matching rights sides together (the cord will be facing the inside or middle of the pillow), baste all around.

When you get to the place where the 2 ends of the cord meet (beginning and end) you kind of criss cross them. I'll post pic. You pull the cord out and cut off alittle on each end (just the cord not the fabric) and stitch down the fabric in a criss cross. The cord is too hard to sew through.

Place the other pillow top right sides together with the cord in the middle and stitch a 1/2" seam all around leaving an opening for turning and stuffing. (1/2" seams are generally used in home decor sewing.) You may have to grade the seam allowance before turning.

To grade: Trim each seam a different width. This helps with too much bulk in a seam.

Pics to follow

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
This is what I mean by "criss cross"

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
This is the cushion I made about 10 years ago. It's kinda blurry, bad lighting.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Thanks Diana.... now my head is spinning with ideas! :)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I used it on myriahs blanket, it is so easy to finish blankets with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts