Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's not a life altering decision, but it's a big one around here. In 1997, I bought a Honda Civic LX and in 1998, dh bought a Honda Civic HX. In December 2001, we traded in dh's Civic and got a great deal on a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan for me and dh took my Civic. We are generally "drive it until it can't drive anymore" kind of car people. The reason we bought the Civics in the first place was because our old cars were literally on their last legs, and we take GREAT care of our cars. Anyway, for the past 6 months or so, dh has been complaining about getting dd in and out of the Civic and how it's so small (he's a tall man) and how he would love an SUV. So, we priced them and decided they were WAY out of our league and that the Civic still ran, so we weren't buying a new car for another 5 or 6 years, at least until we had paid the van off, because we don't want another car payment. (The Civic was paid off two years ago.) Then, on Friday, at work, I noticed a sign up that a woman I teach with was selling a 1997 Ford Explorer in great condition. I called her yesterday and they are selling it for $11,000. Blue book value on dh's Civic is $6,000 and we have $8,000 in our savings account. So, we are going to look at it today and see what their timeline is and if they could wait for dh to sell his car before we bought theirs. Dh is excited because it is the Eddie Bauer edition, which means leather seats, sunroof, etc. A car we would NEVER be able to buy new. Actually, I wouldn't even consider buying this kind of car, usually, but it's a great deal, dh REALLY wants it, and I'm so proud of him for losing 65 pounds, I kinda want to get him whatever he wants since he NEVER asks for anything. So, we'll see. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the timing works out perfectly for all of this.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Oh how exciting, you guys! Good luck and keep us updated. Sounds like a nice vehicle for him. :)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I know the feeling. We are currently driving a 1993 Cougar until it dies and it is a pain to get the kids in and out of. We don't have a car payment, so I am not in a rush to get another loan for a newer car, but I am also at a point where this car is a heap. :(
It's great that you guys have that much saved too. :) I hope you guys get it.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
WOW! Great deal!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I hope it works out for you Amy, think of all the interest you'll save !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
wow, sounds great-- good luck!!
I hope you're able to get it for dh!

·
27,948 Posts
Good luck Amy! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed too.:)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Good luck Amy. I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Sounds wonderful! Just remember to take it to a reputable mechanic (ASE-certified) for a prepurchase inspection! This costs about $75.00 but is worth every penny. It can literally save you thousands and you will have all the info you need for dickering if there is a big repair bill looming in the near future.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we went and checked it out yesterday. It is BEAUTIFUL! Originally, the plan was that I was going to drive dh's car to work today and switch with the owner and drive the Explorer home, and dh would take it to the mechanic tomorrow to check it out, but with 10 inches of snow looming, the owner needs it to get back and forth to school, but we are going to do it on Wednesday. I'm so excited! Basically, we're all set, assuming the mechanic finds nothing wrong! It's been a great weekend for us!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This is great news, Amy :) I love Explorers, and if we had a chance to get one like you are, we would too! I'm glad it's working out for you.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Good for you guys!!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
That is great news Amy! That is so exciting!! I bet DH is excited too! I am glad everything went well for you.

·
27,948 Posts
:fdance: Great news Amy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts