Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have known this for a while bit a lot people don't know , BigLots nomally have open dumpsters , and throw away anything that is returned without a bar code , I have found tents , Couch covers , Bedroom linens and comforters , food , broken jewelry and toys. So check a BigLots Dumpster Near you. :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Are you serious? OMG we have a big lots near us, I might have to go check that out. Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Please be careful dumpster diving. It can be very illegal. where i live you can get fined for it. Best to be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am shocked that they just toss the items out. That doesn't even make sense.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
LL Bean does the same thing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I should go digging thru thier dumpsters they made me mad today. I found some My Space toys for 75% off today (my dd's bday is next week) well regular price was $20, it didnt ring up at the sale price at the register, i told her about the 75% off, ohh no sorry this wasnt supposed to be over there. Yea right, the customer behind me said i bought this exact thing for an easter present and yes it was 75% off. More haggling back and forth, well i gave up i wanted to go home and eat i was starving. Jerks. The manager wouldnt budge. I wonder if that will end up in thier darn dumpster?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I had my son i was a chronic camper (thats one way to say it , I just didnt like living in houses , had one just didnt live there.Hah ha ) and i have been all over the states , Most big lots I have known do the same thing , it seems a real waste , but i know more than a few times i have been able to find perfect items resell them and buy something usefull , I have never had any issues with any of the stores i have visited I am very open about what i am doing , the only time i have been told not to go a Divin is in the daylight (DUH.. also not during store hours) otherwise they could care less

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
When I worked at Kmart, they would take items that could not be sold (they were a return, or slightly damaged), and then the clerk in claims would destroy the item intentionally so that no one could get into the dumpster and get it...That would drive me nuts... They began letting the employees buy the things for very little just a few dollars instead of the much higher prices... It still makes me mad how much stores waste, and we end up paying higher prices most of the time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
A lot of stores do this type of thing.

They can't return the items to the manufacturer for one reason or another; can't sell them because the main office says they can't. You'd think they would just donate them, but it seems it's just easier to throw them away. I have a friend who works at Bath & Body Works and they throw all kinds of stuff away for the above reasons plus others; one being that since their products go on your body, they cannot sell returned items (even if unopened) or items they have been discontinued and are no longer going to sell because if the product damages your skin there could be a potential lawsuit. The store she works at (in a strip mall) has a locked dumpster to prevent dumpster diving. It's illegal here and considered stealing so I probably wouldn't do it. You can also get fined for trespassing.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Not Big Lots, but another Big Name Store my brother works at. They sell workout equipment. The maker of the equipment tells the stores when a certain part gets bent or broken while moving it off the truck or around the store to just toss it in the dumpster and they will give them full credit for it.

Very expensive workout equipment too! I was astonished. So my mom & I are both getting "new to us" treadmills for Christmas :toothy:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My DD worked for Big Lots a couple of years ago and they are supposed to destroy items that are thrown away, and it is illegal to dig in their dumpsters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts