Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at a garage sale, one I didn't even want to stop for, I found a brand new, never been opened food dehydrator for $20! It's a Nesco Professional (yeah, right) model. I'm always skeptical about claims that something is new at a garage sale, but I plugged this in and from the smell coming off of it that you always get with new stuff like that, it's easy to see the fan and heater have never been run.

This is not the one, but it looks like this one:

Amazon has it for around $70.

A few months ago, I bought another Nesco model. At that time, I bought some parts online to expand its capacity, but didn't want to go whole hog in hopes I'd find some spare parts cheaper secondhand. Good things come to those who wait, because all the trays, meshes, and fruit leather sheets are interchangeable between the two models. The new dehydrator came with five trays, so I can use all eleven of them at once on one unit (they're both expandable to twelve trays) or I can split them up and do two different batches of things at the same time. I really need to learn more about dehydrating!

:cheer4::cheer4::cheer4::cheer4:

Then at Goodwill, I found a nice pocket organizer thingy that will work great for the camper to hold my book and flashlight next to my bed. It was only $1 and now I don't have to mess around making one.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's pure luck. We happened to be at that sale just as they opened the doors. I'm sure this dehydrator wouldn't have been there long.

I've been doing really well talking myself out of buying things lately, and I almost talked myself out of buying this. I'm glad I didn't though. I didn't realize till I got it home all the parts are interchangeable with the one I had, which should work out great. The parts alone would have cost me $50 on Amazon, without the base and drying unit. So I think I did okay!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Watch at walmart for the trays that you make fruit leather on. I bought a set of 2 for $1.99 in the mark down isle.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm happy for you and a little green, also. I've been looking at and wanting a dehydrator but it is having to remain on the wish list. For $20 tho' it would have found a new home. Great find!

Reactions: Spirit Deer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts