Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in today's WSJ that the Avian flu has emerged in Asia. Earlier this year, I was part of a planning committee on our local response to the bird flu. The committee was comprised of people in the emergency management office, public health department, and first responders. We learned that according to the CDC, the only way to limit the casualties due to a flu pandemic was through social distancing. That is a fancy way of saying stay home for six to eight weeks. Could you do this? At first glance it would seem easy for someone who has a stockpile. But, when DW and I discussed not being able to leave the house for any reason, it became clear there are many things that could cause trouble. I think food would be the easiest thing. What challenges do you foresee in this?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I'm not sure we could stay home for that length of time. I am a homebody, however 6-8 weeks is a long time. We'd miss church, miss the kid's music lessons which are so important to them and I'd just miss going for walks.

I'd also be concerned should someone get sick (other than avian flu) that we wouldn't be able to see the doctor.

Hmmmm certainly gives one something to think about, doesn't it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They'd have to arrest people. Seriously. Most people have the attitude that it applies to "other" people, not them. Rules were made for other people to follow.

How many people do you know who go to work sick because they don't want to use up their sick time on being sick or they are too valuable or have too much work to do? My sister is a nurse in a hospital and the nurses routinely go to work with FEVERS. And this continues because nobody sends them home.

Then there are the people who simply cannot sit still and could never just manage to "be" at home. They have to be busy.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I agree, some sort of martial law would have to be enforced. I live in an area where people think that rules are for all those other people. Kinda the "I've lived here for 50 years so I don't have to follow those rules."

As long as we had electricity/water/ and other utilities, we would be ok. I do agree that going to the dr for other reasons might be hard to do but I'm sure it could get done.

We homeschool the girls so their school life would continue as is. If they couldn't go to piano, they would continue to practice until we could go back.

thanks for the thought provoking thread.

Reactions: fixer

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys have brought up some really good points. I don't see how businesses could shut down for two months and if they could people could not do without a paycheck for that long. I have been involved with our local CERT/MRC chapter for a few years. CERT is an acronym for, Community Emergency Response Team. MRC is Medical Reserve Corp. I had thirty hours of instruction in many different areas. We learned first aid, how to set up a field morgue, about running a shelter, bioterrorism, and so on. The information has been invaluable. Here, both groups are ran by the director of emergency management and the local health department. I would encourage anyone interested in preparedness to volunteer with these organizations.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I hope it is not a real virulent strain of bird flu. The problem is if you have kids in College or out here in CA we have tons of asian's and if their relative travels over there and catches it. They can spread it over here very easily. The world is getting smaller. That is why I keep the face masks handy.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We could not go 6 8 weks without a paycheck or school. I could probably go that long without buying food but it would get old with what we have. I also don't think my son could go that long without renewing his meds.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You guys have brought up some really good points. I don't see how businesses could shut down for two months and if they could people could not do without a paycheck for that long. I have been involved with our local CERT/MRC chapter for a few years. CERT is an acronym for, Community Emergency Response Team. MRC is Medical Reserve Corp. I had thirty hours of instruction in many different areas. We learned first aid, how to set up a field morgue, about running a shelter, bioterrorism, and so on. The information has been invaluable. Here, both groups are ran by the director of emergency management and the local health department. I would encourage anyone interested in preparedness to volunteer with these organizations.
Where do I look to see if our community has a group like this.

There is a book I read about 12 years ago and I cant remember the name but it was like 3 days from anarchy or something like that that talked about emergency situations that would make things come to a halt and that it would only take three days for things to get chaotic.

In my community no one speaks or talks of "what if there were an emergency" People here are lulled into a false sense of security because we have an Air force base here. What? they'd lock that base down so fast this entire little town would be out shooting each other. Sorry for the hijack Fixer, but emergency preparedness should be more of a priority in my opinion. I think small towns dont always believe it will happen to them.:usasmile:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would check with my local office of emergency management. Here, every county has one although sometimes the managers themselves are part-time employees. I might also check with my local health department. Sometimes, either the police or fire departments offer something similar.

Reactions: LastDragonfly

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where do I look to see if our community has a group like this.

There is a book I read about 12 years ago and I cant remember the name but it was like 3 days from anarchy or something like that that talked about emergency situations that would make things come to a halt and that it would only take three days for things to get chaotic.

In my community no one speaks or talks of "what if there were an emergency" People here are lulled into a false sense of security because we have an Air force base here. What? they'd lock that base down so fast this entire little town would be out shooting each other. Sorry for the hijack Fixer, but emergency preparedness should be more of a priority in my opinion. I think small towns dont always believe it will happen to them.:usasmile:
This is a follow up. You can find information about both groups at citizencorps.org There is a directory for each states coordinator.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I better get some face masks from work. I would like the vacation of 6 wks at home but no paycheck wouldn't be good! I don't have a food stockpile so I guess I should start on that also. I know a lady that only goes to the store once a month and buy for that month, I don't know how she does it. luckily she doesn't have any kids just here & dh.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We'd be out on the streets. there's no way we could even go two weeks with out a paycheck. too many bills.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I could stay home for that long, but it would be close. Money wise we would only be ok for a month. Food wise we wouldnt starve but near the end it would be canned beans and oatmeal.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I do have a food & supply stockpile and I guess my biggest problem would be trying to defend myself in case someone wanted to take our food.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just came back from a meeting with our local director of emergency management. I volunteer with him on a couple of projects. He informed me we will be having a statewide bird flu exercise this summer. I also got a handbook on pandemic flu from our local health department representative who was there. I am not a conspiracy theorist,but it seems bird flu is on a lot of peoples mind although it is not in the media much now. I don't draw any conclusions, just an observation.

Reactions: norcalmommy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It was also in the news that yellowstone had several quakes this last weekend and they are watching it. I am ordering more face masks myself for relatives who probably won't buy them in time if something were to happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re Fixer

I read in today's WSJ that the Avian flu has emerged in Asia. Earlier this year, I was part of a planning committee on our local response to the bird flu. The committee was comprised of people in the emergency management office, public health department, and first responders. We learned that according to the CDC, the only way to limit the casualties due to a flu pandemic was through social distancing. That is a fancy way of saying stay home for six to eight weeks. Could you do this? At first glance it would seem easy for someone who has a stockpile. But, when DW and I discussed not being able to leave the house for any reason, it became clear there are many things that could cause trouble. I think food would be the easiest thing. What challenges do you foresee in this?
Oh wow. This topic has been a 'driver' for me during the last 4 years or so. Fixer, as I learned more about the H5N1 virus, the probability of a pandemic, the possible ramifications of such a pandemic and the predicted aftermath of the same, I started shifting towards preparedness. A few of the major shifts are:
1.) Launched my website and put all the information that I could find on it, including basic 'how to's'
2.) Stocked up on food, water, medicines, tools, heating & lighting supplies, weapons & ammo, water treatment storage drums & chemicals, assembled a portable water quality testing laboratory.
3.) The vehicle I had was a beat up short-bed Toyota PU truck, this was swapped for a full sized GMC 4x4 (much more towing & hauling capacity), picked up a large trailer (hauling supplies to a bug-out location). Paid much more attention to maintenance and modifications, stocked 100 gallons of gas, supplies of fluids and a set of new tires.
4.) Intense learning about gardening, first aid, field stripping & cleaning weapons, flu patient care & isolation, extended vehicle maintenance, home security & communications, joined several forums to get more ideas & information on a daily basis.
5.) Alerted my family & coworkers about the threat & created a contact chain to be executed once a pandemic starts.

Once a highly pathogenic pandemic begins with a predicted 40%+ worker absentee rate, the electrical grid, water & waste water treatment systems, communications, law enforcement & first responders, health care services, educational institutions, food delivery, day care facilities, employment and employer facilities ; all may have a good chance of being severely degraded or suffer collapse altogether.

So, this is what I have been preparing for.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
We are getting there on our stockpile of food and household items. I think I am going to look into getting a 3 month supply of our medicines.
Cabin Fever would be our worst enemy. I am not sure how we would do cooped up in our tiny house for that long. But if things were that serious we would do it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My work sent out a pamphlet about a year ago saying that in case of a pandemic we would be require to come to work unless you were just to sick to make it. I do not like the idea of that at all I would rather stay home for two months then risk exposure.
I work for the Government.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts