Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bisquick Mix Copycat

Recipe Description
I've used this copycat recipe to make my own Bisquick for over thirty years. Use it in any recipe calling for Bisquick mix.

I never add sugar because I use the mix mostly for savory recipes and not much for desserts.​
Preparation Steps:
Gather ingredients, a large bowl, an airtight three-quart container, a pastry blender, and measuring devices.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
A few minutes​
Ingredients:
8 c. flour
1/3 c. baking powder
2 t. salt
8 t. sugar (opt.)
1 c. shortening​
Serves:
Makes about 10 cups​
Directions:
In large bowl, mix all but shortening well, then cut in shortening with pastry blender till mixture is uniform. Store in airtight container.​

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This looks great! I always have all these ingredients on hand too. I even have a ton of shortening and no other recipes I make use it - I've been hunting for a good way to use it :)

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm the same way, usually have all the stuff on hand to make the mix. Bisquick is pretty expensive now so it's a lot cheaper to make it myself. You can make a half batch to try it out if you want.

If you're not likely to use it up before it goes bad, freeze your shortening. No point in wasting it.

·
4,028 Posts
I switched from Bisquick to the Aldi's brand baking mix and have noted no difference. I like that I can make half a batch with this recipe though since I use it so infrequently.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Oh, SD, do you use a pastry cutter through out the process or do you use your hands to rub the shortening into the mix?

My recipe for Welsh Tea Cakes calls for "rubbing" and it makes a much finer crumb. What is your experience with either method?

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be able to freezer this mix or the mix you bought to help it stay fresh longer.

I just cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter. It seems to work just fine.

I think maybe you could mix it in a food processor but I haven't tried that. When I started using this recipe, food processors weren't very common yet.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thanks SD! Do you keep this in the fridge because of the shortening or is it okay in a cupboard? How long does it last before the shortening starts to go bad? Another great money saver. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't keep it in the fridge but you can if you want. Shortening is stored at room temp, so I don't really see a need to keep it in the fridge. I don't go through it real fast, but fast enough that it doesn't spoil.

Incidentally, I've tried making this with oil instead of Crisco and it was pretty bad, although I did use it up. It was just all caked and sorta wet. There may be a recipe online that uses oil though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
SD- I actually mixed this up Friday, before I got sick, :( I haven't tried it in anything yet but am looking forward to doing so. I seem to have lost my pastry cutter, so just used a fork to blend it in. It all mixed well with out any problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My grandmother used to make this up and have it on hand to use. I have made it myself--but not for many years.

My grandmother also kept mixed up pastry crust mix (flour/lard 3:1, I think) and just added the water when she was ready to make a crust. She kept both in a large plastic bin that had previously had potato chips.

Yes, you can use the food processor. I do whenever I make pie crust or biscuits. Just pulse it.

Hydrogenated vegetable shortening will eventually go rancid just like any fat. However, I think bc it's hydrogenated it is shelf-stable a lot longer than other fats.

·
Super Moderator
19,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know there are trace amounts of trans-fats (hydrogenated) in Crisco, but I do try to minimize my use of them. I wish there was a good alternative for making stuff like biscuit mix and pie crust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts