Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to experiment with the Bisquick Shake 'n Pour Pancake Mix bottle. After I use up the mix that came in the bottle, I'm going to see if I can substitute generic pancake mix & re-use the bottle.

I don't make pancakes everyday, but for the days I do, it would be so convenient to have the powder measured and only have to add the liquid and pour.

Anyone tried this? I'll post later how it turned out!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Yeah, you can re-use the bottle as long as it's washable. I'd just put the same measurements you would use in the bowl to do it. It seems like a good idea to me. :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I make the dry mix (about 6 cups) and put it in the freezer in a ziploc bag. Then when I want to make pancakes, I measure out the dry mix, add the wet ingredients, and have pancakes.

MUCH cheaper than prepacked store bought pancake mix.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made the original pancakes from the bottle, and then washed out the bottle and saved it. The original bottle with mix cost $2.48, and it made 8 pancakes.

After it dries, I'm going to refill it with cheap mix. Tomorrow morning, I'll fill it with the liquid, and make more pancakes. I'll calculate the cost of the mix and see if it saves me any money.
I know it's going to save $$ over the original bottle, and if it saves time, too, well, that's a bonus!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good idea MomK! Let us know if it saves you any money. I am sure it will. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I f you make it from scratch be sure the baking powder is mixed throughout it or some will raise and some won't. Make the sure the lid is really tight too so it doesn't get buggy in hot weather or put a bay leaf in it. You could even store it in the freezer if you have room

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have been curious about this. I bought the Shake'n Pour mix to take camping. I saved the bottle so that I could add my own mix next time.

·
Registered
525 Posts
well i have done this and it works just fine. my kids love pancakes. and well bisquick is costly and i perfer to cook and bake with it. for pancakes i buy the generic just add water type. i havent had a problem with them ever. and i usually bake double batches or tripples and freeze em. 20 secs per cake in mic and yummo just like fresh made. the one i use is basically 1 to 1 ratio btw

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have just used one of the rubbermaid mixer mate containers with the boxed add water mix.

I would like to use scratch mix instead of the boxed but I dont have a recipe that I can make ahead and only add water.

Does anyone have a recipe?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Light-as-a-Feather Hot Cakes

In a 4-cup measuring cup (for easy pouring) combine:

1 c. milk (kefir or buttermilk will also work)
1 egg
2 T. vegetable oil

Add dry ingredients:

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. baking powder

Blend to mix.

You can make packets of the dry ingredients and have them on hand.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can make this same recipe using dried whole egg powder (the equivilant of 1 egg) and dry milk powder OR dried buttermilk powder (the equivilant for 1-cup), and add water and oil. I've also made this mix using powdered butter as a substitute for the oil - so all you needed to add was water (approx. 1 cup + 2 T.).
------------------------------------------------------

(Note: These recipes make large amounts, you can easily cut the recipes in half or less to suit your needs.)

http://extension.usu.edu/cache/files/uploads/Cooking with Food Storage Ingredients 6-07.pdf

Pancake Mix

10 c. all-purpose flour
2-1/2 c. instant nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking powder
2 T. salt

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Stir together to blend well. Put in large airtight container. Store in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 13-cups of Pancake Mix.

TO USE:
Perfect Pancakes

1-1/2 c. Pancake Mix (recipe above)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c. water
3 T. canola oil

Put pancake mix in medium bowl. Combine egg, water, and oil in small bowl. Add egg mixture to pancake mix. Add more water for thinner pancakes. Blend well. Let stand 5 minutes. Cook on hot oiled griddle. Makes 10-12 4-inch pancakes.
-----------------------------------------------------

Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancake Mix

4 c. quick cooking oats
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon
2 t. salt
3 T. baking powder
1/2 t. cream of tartar

Combine ingredients and stir to mix well. Put in large airtight container. Label. Store in the refrigerator or freezer (because of the whole wheat flour). Use within 6 months.

Mixing directions:
In medium bowl, beat 2 eggs. Beat in 3 T. oil gradually. Gradually stir in 2 cups pancake mix and 1 c. water. Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat. When batter shows broken bubbles, turn pancakes over. Cook about 2-3 minutes.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! It seems like I'm not alone in wanting to make pancakes as cheaply and easily as possible! Well, I haven't calculated the actual cost over the long run, but I have used the bottle over and over.

Here's what I have found:

The mouth of the bottle is wide enough to add more dry mix if I bend the mouth of the box and create a little spout.
I have made them enough times that I don't even have to measure the water, I just add water and shake. I can feel the consistency as I'm shaking.

I made pancakes for a crowd yesterday, and it was a breeze!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts