Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Licence to Kill
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else heading out in the wee hours of the morning on Friday? :D

My Dh and I love to go out on Black Friday for the "free entertainment". We take snacks and water bottles in the car and just wander the stores. One of the stores up here has free coffee and donuts to start out the day.

We don't usually buy much of anything, but a whole day's worth of entertainment for about a gallon of gas is a pretty good deal. :tay: hehe

21,852 Posts
Love your attitude!! Did it once - don't need to do it again!! Have fun!!

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal

· Registered
5,439 Posts
DH and I go out, too. Sometimes we buy things, sometimes we don't. It is a lot of fun to just get out, have some coffee, donuts and people watch even if we don't snag any great deals. Snagging a few deals is just icing on the cake to a great outing.

· Banned
11,410 Posts
Sleep sounds way better. :laugh: I'll probably see some of the crazy stuff on the local news. So no shopping for me on that day.

This is the first year my DD has worked retail and her first black Friday!! She got lucky and doesn't have to go in way early but I'm sure she will have some funny stories to tell. She works in the mall.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
I used to do black friday when my nephews were wee little ones. Toyworks used to have a bomb-diggity sale that started at 5 am.
I would get home from work at midnight, sleep for a couple of hours then head out to that one store.
They used to open the doors at 4 a.m, just so that the parking lot wouldn't crowd with people. When you walked through the door, they'd give you a 30 gallon trash bag for your "shopping cart".
I would leave with a ton of loot for very little $. If I had it in the budget, I would buy for that year and the next year too (going age up appropriate in toys). Memories.

Now I stay far away from stores on BF. Instead I meet up with a bunch of friends and we walk our dogs together.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
I did 1 time and thats all it took for me to stay home from then on out!. Crazy people out that day. LOL

· Registered
9,309 Posts
I did Wal-Mart one year. CRAZY, Never Again. So after that awful experience I do the mall with DS1. He always has a few gifts to get.

It's pretty low key really. Go to Bath and Body Works and get their deals. Then to Boscovs for theirs. We look through all their jewelry, GREAT deals. Check out the door busters, hang out for their handbag sale that's at 11:00. Then lunch, and DS1 checks out game stop for himself. No crowds, or pushing or shoving.

We haven't done it now for 2-3? years, and we won't again this year. DS1 is working on Black Friday, he's bummed. I would have only been going for him this year so I'm fine with not heading out into the Christmas rush. :)

· Registered
5,357 Posts
I can never picture being out there on that day. I always thought the ones who got out there at 3am were psycho. I know that it's good to save money, but when you risk your life for something like the hottest toy of the year for the lowest price it's not worth it.

I'd rather just buy online for those toys and then head out when I want the little things. Thankfully, the items on my list this year aren't "doorbuster' type of toys.

· Registered
9,309 Posts
I agree 100% What Boscovs calls doorbusters are not what people would risk life and limb for, and they are beyond well stocked. No fighting, pushing, shoving. They have doorbusters every weekend all year long.

· Registered
5,439 Posts
What Boscovs calls doorbusters are not what people would risk life and limb for, and they are beyond well stocked. No fighting, pushing, shoving
Pretty much the same here. We have gone out every single year since as far back as I can remember, hitting a wide variety of stores from Office Depot, Best Buy, Wally World, the mall, etc...and have never been involved in or seen any pushing, shoving or anything close to risky behavior.

The riskiest thing we have seen are some of the outfits people will wear at 4:00 am. Just because it is sleepy time on the clock doesn't mean you should wear sleepy time clothes in public.

· Registered
232 Posts
Oh shoot I have to work and early too. No Black Friday shopping for me this year. I went a few years ago by myself. It was really fun and I would love to do it again sometime.

· Registered
677 Posts
It is probably my favorite day of the year! but its not really for the shopping. My mom is one of 5 kids and all those siblings have kids (me and my cousins) and grandkids so any female over the age of 13 goes together to shop and eat lunch. We have about 15 people. We all meet at 430am and we have the same routine every year. Same stores, same place for lunch,ect.......i cant miss black friday...its tradition :)

· Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Well, to be honest I can't go. I read the flyers and get all excited about getting something new for cheap only to get there and realized that its not what the picture showed or that they didn't have any to start out with. I get my feelings hurt everytime, so I don't think I will go this year.

Last year I got up at 4AM to get to Walmart for a sale starting at 6 AM. I live about 15 min away. I got there and there were almost no parking spots left. I go in to get the Card table and chairst for 29.99 (usualy 59.99) that I wanted only to find them all gone.

I looked through the ads yesterday and went ahead and went to Best Buy and K-Mart to get what I needed. I need to get just a few more things and then I am done. I will not be headed out for Black Friday this year though.

· Registered
985 Posts
I'll be sort of going this year, but BF has to work :( I think he might be happy about that ....LOL He only has to work a half day and is getting paid for the full day so I guess it's kind of a win-win. I'll go after I drop him at work around 8:30. WalMart has a 5 qt. crock pot for $9.97 I'm going to try and snag, if they're still around at 9 AM LOL. If not, I'm really not concerned...we did a lot of Black Friday shopping last year before our big move so there's not much in the way of things I want or need this year :)

· Registered
1,461 Posts
NOT ME!!!!
I am staying home and doing any shopping I might do online.

· Premium Member
9,936 Posts
I used to go to the early bird door buster sales...back when the earliest the sales started was 6am. Now some stores are opening at 3am? FREAKING CRAZY!

Dh & I wait until 9am (still in time for the door buster sales) to go. We sail in, find the deals we want and get out. No muss no fuss. Of course, we're never after the big-ticket items people are standing in line for (only to find out the store only had 1 or 2).

This year I plan on hitting Target (a 50% toy ds12 would like), Walmart ($3 crockpot for dd18), and Kmart (ipod charging dock for dd18).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.