Frugal Village Forums banner

Blah, I forgot

Tags
blah forgot
913 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Marie78 
#1 ·
I had this goal set out of reaching $6,000 in my savings. At that point I was going to pay off my $3,000 student loan (only because it's the only one accruing interest now that it's been consolidated--what a mess). But I completely forgot that I won't be getting a pay check in June or July--such is the nature of being a graduate assistant. So not only will I not make money to save, I will lose out on the savings I have to live on.

This isn't totally unexpected, as I plan purposely to set aside enough of my paycheck each month to cover the summer months (basically spreading my 10 month paycheck out over 12 months). It's just that I got so caught up in my savings excitement that I forgot, haha.

And no, getting a "summer job" isn't really an option for me. Hopefully next summer I can teach a class for some extra cash.

My goal is to only use $1500 of my savings, $750 per month. But I'm also moving to a different apartment this summer and currently own almost nothing (furnished place, live with roommates who have everything else). We'll see how it goes!

Whew, just had to whine a bit ;)

See less See more
#4 ·
Mmm, not really as they all live over 2,000 miles away in different directions.

But I'm not too worried about furnishings. Come May, 40,000 undergrads leave town and the stuff they leave behind is PLENTY! We even have a cool thing called "Trash to Treasure" where everything that gets left in dorm rooms (intentionally or not) is sold. Last year I got some clothes, TV/VCR, computer chair, and some miscellaneous stuff for $19 total. I am very much looking forward to it this year!

My fiance is a grad student too and gets enough to live on up until the summer. Then he applies for something that gives him money through the summer, I'll ask him what it is (maybe a grant or work study) if there is no work he still gets some money. I'll ask him tonight what it's called. It looks like he might get paid this summer without having to teach any classes. He's also looking into tutoring, there are always tutoring lists floating around at his school and if he signs up to tutor he gets $30/hr. I wish you luck, I know how tight the money is for grad students, one of the reasons we live as frugally as we do.
I do get funding over summer for classes such that they continue to pay my tuition, but I don't get any payment since I'm not being a teacher's assistant over summer. I asked my advisor about extra money to be made over summer and he said my only real option is to teach a class, which I'm not opposed to, but it's too late for this summer.

I could look into tutoring, but as mentioned above most undergrads leave town over summer :/

#3 ·
My fiance is a grad student too and gets enough to live on up until the summer. Then he applies for something that gives him money through the summer, I'll ask him what it is (maybe a grant or work study) if there is no work he still gets some money. I'll ask him tonight what it's called. It looks like he might get paid this summer without having to teach any classes. He's also looking into tutoring, there are always tutoring lists floating around at his school and if he signs up to tutor he gets $30/hr. I wish you luck, I know how tight the money is for grad students, one of the reasons we live as frugally as we do.

#6 ·
When the undergraduates move out for the summer, see if you can snag some of the things they put by the trash to get your apt. furnished for free. I am sure you are aware that at the end of the year so many of these students toss things in pretty good condition. My sister's first apt. was almost completely furnished by doing this, not necessarily her taste but, we found her a free couch, couple chairs, table, dining chairs, a rug or two, lots of dish sets/utensils, a mirror, a few lamps, some small tables, dresser, desk and a bookshelf. Some of this stuff needed a little paint and the couch needed a slip cover, but it was furniture and it was free :). Now that she works at a high paying job she has been able to replace some of her second hand finds as she has the money to pay for it.

#8 ·
But I'm not too worried about furnishings. Come May, 40,000 undergrads leave town and the stuff they leave behind is PLENTY! We even have a cool thing called "Trash to Treasure" where everything that gets left in dorm rooms (intentionally or not) is sold. Last year I got some clothes, TV/VCR, computer chair, and some miscellaneous stuff for $19 total. I am very much looking forward to it this year!

:bag: I am sorry, I didn't see you already posted about the undergrad furniture you can find for next to nothing or nothing :) I hope you find some great things:thumb:

I do get funding over summer for classes such that they continue to pay my tuition, but I don't get any payment since I'm not being a teacher's assistant over summer. I asked my advisor about extra money to be made over summer and he said my only real option is to teach a class, which I'm not opposed to, but it's too late for this summer.

I could look into tutoring, but as mentioned above most undergrads leave town over summer :/[/QUOTE]

I asked my fiance how he was getting money this summer from grad school. He said that sometimes you can get onto a grant that a Prof. has applied for and that's how some people at his school have been able to get basically free money for the summer. He said these grad students don't even do work for the Prof. He said these are hard to get and that he might get one of these this summer. He thinks it will be that or he'll be teaching a class for the money to live on this summer. I wish you luck, you might be able to advertise your tutoring services to the public over the summer. I bet you could still get $30/hr easily for tutoring high school kids over the summer. You could even have them meet you at the college library or common area so that you don't have to travel (save you time and money). Good luck, I think you were very smart to save money throughout the school year :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.