Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom bought me a Beginner's Bobbin Lace kit and I've been researching the web and You Tube all morning. Does anyone else in the Village make lace this way?

I was really surprised learning it is just 2 steps... like knitting had a knit and purl, tatting has a 2 step stitch and lace is either a twist or a cross. It is amazing what people have made just by knotting threads.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Or as my mom refers to such hobbies, connecting holes with thread.

Looks like you have yourself a fun new toy. Congrats!

I don't do bobbin lace but I've recently invested in tatting needles and copious amounts of thrift-store crochet cotton and an entire collection of tatting threads from eBay besides. And I've renewed an interest in knitting and built up a respectable stash of yarn from Goodwill. We're like chipmunks up here on the frozen tundra, storing away goodies for use over the winter.

I think needle arts are wonderfully satisfying, even when they're not mine. I hope you'll post pics of your treasures as you create them so all of us can share. :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sounds interesting ceashells! I need heard of such a thing and I hope you will post pictures of your creations for us to see! :)

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD - don't forget to check out your local Dollar Stores. I've found lots of novelty and baby yarns in them. I also have tatting shuttles and my BFF requested a tatted doily for Christmas... thankfully she didn't specify what year.

AS for pictures.... here's a knot.... here's another knot! LOL

I'll do my best. :D

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The nearest dollar store is fifty miles away, but thanks for the tip. We do get to them once in a while. I've never seen any yarn there. So far I probably have enough knitting projects to last me about two years, if I don't sew, tat, or bead during that time, and if I quit buying yarn at GW and beautiful soft cashmere sweaters to rip and re-use.

Try needle tatting. It's approximately 1,345,854 times easier than shuttle tatting. Seriously. I used a doll needle for my first project. The eye was a bit too large and I stabbed myself a lot, but it still worked pretty well.

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look into needle tatting.... and I really like the ratio of ease. LOL

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.....I also am new to needle tatting and LOVE it!! I do with there were more patterns out there, but I really love what you can accomplish with a needle and thread!

I love all things that have to do with needle art...very addicting, but in the off chance I was trapped in my house for a long period of time....I would not run out of projects!! Hehehehehehehe......

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I can relate. Maybe you want to join us over on the Craft and Hobby Use It Up challenge! :p

You can use shuttle tatting patterns for needle tatting. There are loads of free patterns online. Just Google! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts