Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my favorite time of year, football season!! Nothing is better than having hot boiled peanuts while watching my son play football. The concession stands sell them but they are sooo expensive ($3.00 for 1/2 lb bag) so last year I started making my own.
I cook by method not recipe, here is my "method".....
At our farmers market I buy 5 pounds of DRY (not green) peanuts. Peanuts are only $1.00 per pound there. I add about a third of the peanuts to each crockpot, fill with HOT water and add salt. (amount of salt varies according to taste, but somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 of a regular size container, added in 1/4 cup incriments throughout the entire cooking process) Let them cook between 18-24 hours, adding hot water as needed. Crockpots do vary on cooking speeds, I have one that will have them fininshed in 15-18 hours and my other two sometimes take over 24 hours. So you should taste them often until you get the desired saltiness and tenderness.
This makes enough peanuts to give the in-laws some, share with friends at the games, and still have enough for everyone to snack on through the week.
Can't wait to get started and make a batch for this weekend!!!:munch: :munch: :munch:

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Thanks! Dh loves boiled peanuts and since we are FAR from boiled peanuts region :lol: he hasn't had any in 3 years. I'll have to make him some :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
My kids like boiled peanuts (their dad is from florida) but I don't lol Thanks for the recipe though, I will try to make it for them.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
the only peanuts i have ever had are planters...cocktail, salted, redskins. so i am totally confused.what exactly am i looking for??

·
Registered
15,626 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the info. I live in TX and have seen roadside signs advertising boiled peanuts but have never had one (or even knew that they existed until I moved here). I thought they sounded a bit odd, but since they seem to be getting rave reviews here I may actually stop and try some.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have never heard of them. Sound good, so I'm going to give them a try.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Missy, yes they boil in the shell. I know lots of people who do them on stove top. It is quicker, but mine never turned out as tender as I like them that is why I started using the crockpot method. Thanks for the recipe to can them, I will have to do that!!!:) :)
Also I forgot to mention in the original post that if you like spicy things you can add Texas Pete hot sauce (or similar) to the water mixture as they cook and it makes a great "cajun" flavor. These are also a hit around here with my friends who like things with a kick.
I am so shocked that so many had not heard of boiled peanuts....must be a southern thing like grits and cracklin' cornbread.:)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
nver heard of boiled peanuts before , sounds tasty though. e

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
My dh and sons love them. Funny thing is, I'm a GA native and I had never had them (or heard of them) until my dh, a NYC native, offered me one. Um, lets just say..... they're different. ;)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've never heard of them either. So, are they an aquired taste? My husband eats a lot of peanut, but usually dry roasted variety, unless I get them in the shell at the grocery store around Christmas.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Ladies,

If you have a left over ham bone or ham hock, boil that with your peanuts. It adds flavor!!!!!! MMMMMMMMM!!! My mouth is watering now.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is not so much an acquired taste, as the way you eat them is acquired. For those of you unfamiliar to boiled peanuts, in order to eat them the "right" way you take the whole thing, shell and all, put it in your mouth, open the shell with your teeth, throw out the shell and eat the nuts. You HAVE to do it this way because of the flavor in the juices trapped in the shell is the tastiest part. Now I am the biggest believer in following Ms.Emily Post's rules on etiquette, however......all bets are off when eating boiled peanuts. There is no way to eat them and look proper. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I LOVE Boiled peanuts! They taste quite different than dry roasted peanuts...boiled ones taste kind of...potato-ish to me.
Haven't had 'em in years (we used to get them in TN when I was a kid).

I'm so excited to try this!

·
Registered
241 Posts
This Canadian LOVES boiled peanuts:fdance:

Whenever we went to Florida to visit family I'd see the roadside signs, but was never daring enough to try them. The last time we were down there and I had some. They were awesome! I even bought some in Georgia when we were driving home.

When my cousins were going to come up the Canada to visit last summer they asked if we wanted them to bring anything. LOL.......... I said jokingly "cajun boiled peanuts". Well who knew, but you can get them frozen and so they did bring me some. I keep them in the freezer and take out as many as I want at a time. Just pop them in a boil with water and put them in the microwave just long enough to heat through............YUMMY!!!!:hungry:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
guess what i am cookin up?? LOL

·
Registered
962 Posts
yummy. . .boiled peanuts. . .there are a lot of boiled peanut stands here in Florida. They are hard to resist. The car just seems to want to pull in to the stands all on it's own.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It is not so much an acquired taste, as the way you eat them is acquired. For those of you unfamiliar to boiled peanuts, in order to eat them the "right" way you take the whole thing, shell and all, put it in your mouth, open the shell with your teeth, throw out the shell and eat the nuts. You HAVE to do it this way because of the flavor in the juices trapped in the shell is the tastiest part. Now I am the biggest believer in following Ms.Emily Post's rules on etiquette, however......all bets are off when eating boiled peanuts. There is no way to eat them and look proper. :)
LOL, when I worked at the welcome center on Jekyll Island, I was asked many times how to eat boiled peanuts. I loved it too, cause they usually had a bag in the car and I got the opportunity to show them how, LOL.

We buy them by the bushel and cook them outdoors on our propane cooker and low country boil pot. I bag them up in quart freezer bags and pop them in the freezer. Daughter and I each ate a bag today! I also boil mine with ham hocks for the great smoked flavor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts