Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a major decluttering of my books a couple months ago, the ones that I knew we wouldn't use, too old/young for the children etc.....I am still not happy with the situation of all these books I have, now the ones I have are good books!! I homeschool DS #2 so I am definitely not getting rid of anything for him of course or the children's favourite books or mine!! I will keep my craft books, gardening, organizing, Christian etc.....but my goodness I have so many more. I have a large bookshelf in our computer/school room full, 2 LONG shelves up on the wall for novels and such, each child has a small bookcase in their room and so do I, oh and then there is the cabinet in the livingroom that houses the encyclopedias and reference books.

Questions for you.....How many books do you have in your home, where do you put all your books and once again for me it is such an emotional thing getting rid of them! (someday I just might need that reference book that I haven't looked at in 5 years!! LOL!!:D I know my mind very well!!:D

Being a homeschool Mom and a book nut this is difficult and may seem crazy to some but I am getting tired of moving boxes of books around!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hmmm How many, lots! Dh collects old pc books and programs. I collect prairie stories, craft books, cook books and diy books.
I have not counted lately, I also have a few childrens books, in case I ever get grand kids. I tend to reread certain ones, like the Anne books, my Love Comes Softly set and my Little House setsThen there are my bible study books.... get the idea, I LOVE books!:toothy:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Heather, this was one of the hardest things for me when I first started decluttering. I love books, our family loves books but I knew I needed to get rid of some. I had so many, that many of them were even in boxes because I didn't have the shelves for them.

So what I did, was I went through them, picked out a couple of dozen that I hadn't read in a year or had already re-read several times and donated them to the public library (the one we used the most). I knew then that if I would ever need them, I could get them from there.

Getting rid of a couple dozen felt good, so I proceeded to get rid of more. The next time I donated 2 full boxes and again it made me even feel better. With books I had to do it in very small steps. I did it like this for a couple of months, going through the fiction books first, then I went into the hs books, then finally into the reference books.

Good gravy, we had so many sets of encyclopedias that it just became overwhelming. I now have 2 sets of encyclopedias rather than 7, I have a few really good hs books and I have a few great Christian books that I'll keep. The rest I donated to the library.

When it came to my quilting books, I went through each one. I decided which ones I wanted to keep (this one was really hard) and then gave away all the rest to quilting friends. So many of the quilting books have exactly the same patterns in them and how many quilts can a girl make in a lifetime anyways. I probably had 50 quilting books!!! :eek:

For those who love books, its really hard for us not to purchase new books that come out. But for the past year, I've found more and more if I wait for the public library, they will bring in the book I want so that I don't have to purchase another book. We have 2 libraries plus the mail library that we use and now, I don't have the need to purchase a new book. Now if I do, I purchase it with the thought in mind that once read, it goes to the local library so that others can get enjoyment out of it too.

I think if we have gotten enjoyment out of books, the very best thing we can do is donate them to the library so that others can get the same enjoyment. It really is freeing to donate books, knowing that others will read them. We also help our local libraries who struggle financially to purchase books.

This is not an easy one though for book lovers!!! It takes a lot of grim determination, but once its done its absolutely freeing!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mel, your reminded me, I would never get rid of my Little House on the Prairie collection, never, ever, ever!!:D

CJ, what wonderful insight, enjoying the book and letting it go for another's enjoyment. And like you said, donating some to library, if I really needed it, I could borrow it, take it back and it is not on my shelf!!

Since I kicked up our frugal ways this summer I have cancelled my membership with the book clubs, oh gasp, I can hear you :eek: ....but yes I did, saving me money and shelf space!:)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Heather, gasp, sputter, gasp!!! :toothy: Actually I haven't purchased any, but haven't cancelled either because I want to know which new books are coming out so I can see if the library has them. Don't you think thats a good enough excuse!! :eek: :toothy:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm like the lady in Farenheit 451-I'll die surrounded by all of my books.

First and foremost, I collect cookbooks, I have HUNDREDS of them. Next are my frugal/thrifty books. I just love these as well. DH collects sports books, and then we have books for the kids, etc., etc.

I really need to weed out alot of books, which I am slowly doing between ebay and the twice cancelled yard sale.

·
27,948 Posts
It's hard for me because books make me feel rich. It means I have so much at my fingertips. Knowledge, fantasy, joy, pain intrigue....Adventures! Love those paperbacks a wonderful neighbor passes on to me.
I am getting away from saving/buying referance type books as I find everything I need or want to know online, up to date at that.;)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I am my fathers daughter and truly believe that books are our friends. Getting rid of books is a really emotional thing for me, but I have two boxes in the garage that I will be selling in two weeks at our garage sale. I had to do it. There just isn't the space. However, when I move into my dream home with the library room and floor to ceiling bookshelf walls, they'll be full.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ROFL CJ and Danielle!

Great point Darlene, there is so much to offer in books, they can take us far away and we don't even have to leave our home!!

Amy~I've also dreamed of a separate room for all my books!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Oh Amy we have the same dream! Of course I will need a library ladder to reach the "friends" on the top shelves! (always wanted to try one of those! LOL) I think a library or book room is a wonderful space in a house.

CJ I will try your system! :)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mel, don't you love watching on the movies when they go up the ladder, I love the ones that slide over too.......:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi, my name is Patti and I am a biblioholic. I LOVE them. I have tried to get this compulsion under control and have made some progress. I donated @ 400+ books last year and need to get rid of at least 200 more. A co-worker and I have decided to have our own little book fair in the beginning of August. We are going to advertise on our intranet at work and by e-mail to other "book-nuts" like ourselves.

I loved what someone else said about getting this need to "have" the books under control and using our public libraries. '

hmmm food for thought . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts