Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, fellow readers, I just checked out our book review area, and there is not ONE SINGLE REVIEW in there!! How pathetic is that?

I think we can easily get 100 book reviews done by the end of the year. So if you didn't know you could write a review, check out the top banner on FV and go to "Reviews" (between View and Help on my banner). Click on "upload a product" to write a review.

We're all reading a LOT of books and/or listening to audiobooks, so let's make our experience count and give others a great reference tool to make up THEIR reading lists!

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Good idea. I didn't know it was there. I sometimes browse through the what are you reading threads for titles and then check out Amazon for descriptions, but having reviews here would be great.

I'll try to do my part as I seem to be reading more and more these days.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
So, suggestions for how we fill it out? Maybe author for "manufacturer", title for the product?

What tags? Author, title keywords, genre, topic?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, must be Halloween!! This thread came back from the dead! :D

I'm willing to jump in and do my part! I say we just muddle along and figure it out as we go along!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, it was a little tricky, but I think I worked out a way to list the book that wasn't completely confusing.

I the title in the "mfr" line and the subtitle in the "brand" line. I put the author and ISBN in the key words area. It came out looking okay, so I'll probably continue to post that way, unless someone comes up with something better.

·
19,119 Posts
Just checked back to the original date of this thread - 8-12 - not too long in the 'dead' pile!! Since I pick up books from my 10 cet favorite bookstore -some of my books are not current - is that okay?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think the date of publication should be a barrier to posting, MM. Some of the best books are the oldest ones!!

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo, this is going to be fun!! Glad you got us going, again ....and again .....and again!!

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Heck, I could do a hundred of these myself by Christmas! Well, maybe not a 100. But I won't monopolize the reviews that much.
I added In the Autumn Wind, and have one more I would like to put up today, another favorite funny novel, Miss Buncle's Book. Then I'll sit back and see what others do.

I'm still playing with the form, since the novels don't have subtitles.

Miss Thrifty, your book sounds like a lot of fun. I may have to hunt it up.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
madhen it took 3x to get it through it kept saying errors it wouldnt go through. finally at the third i sent it by going back on the browser the re-entering the info. frustrating i can tell ya lol

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is weird. Mine went right through. If you try it again, and get similar errors, you might ask Gabe. Maybe there is something in your settings?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
pics wont load up . i upload the pics even when i make them small enough, but still they wont load. sorry folks i tried.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Book Review: The Writing Diet

As an aspiring writer and a guy with a "Buddha belly" (as my girlfriend likes to say as she rubs it), I figured this might give me some good insights and incentives to get inspiration again at losing weight. I've found that I tend to get into a rut with life (and it often seems filled with donuts, chocolate, chips, Cheetos or Cheesy poofs, beer and other sinful foods).

The chapters are only a few pages long (which made it great to read while playing Warcraft online while my character was flying from one adventure to the next) and each has an exercise at the end of it to help reinforce the idea of the chapter. One of the big things was the idea of Morning Pages. This is where you write 3 pages on anything, literally anything. It could be a rant about slow service at a drive through; could be a stream of "IHATEMYFATBODY!"; whatever. As long as you are consistent. As time passes and you read back what you wrote, you'll likely start to see the patterns of emotions and ideas that you are using to hold yourself back from moving forward towards Clean Eating (the idea of non-processed foods, 3 meals a day with 2 snacks, lots of water and portion control) and getting exercise in as part of your routine.

Of course, for me and somewhat hectic schedule, getting those 3 pages in first thing as a regular habit can be trying but I am trying (and am starting to use NaNoWriMo for some of that). This isn't a book about getting buff and all "Arh-noldy" but about getting healthier, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I'd rate it 4 library cards out of 5. :)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds similar to the 3-minute writing exercises I used to have to do in grammar school. Our teacher would make us write, non-stop, about anything we wanted to write about, for three minutes straight. I know a lot of people just wrote "I don't have anything to write about" for three minutes, but I did try to put to page whatever crossed through my mind. It is amazing how LONG three minutes can be, though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts