Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What 3 Authors would you love to have to dinner & why?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Dave Ramsey because I love his books on finances and I think it would be a financially enlightening experience. J.K. Rowling because I think she has an amazing imagination that shows in her Harry Potter book series. It would be great to meet someone who has mastered creative writing and ask her for suggestions. I also would like to meet John Grisham, his books keep me on the edge of my seat and I really enjoy how his characters come to life.

·
Registered
708 Posts
You didn't say the authors had to be living, so....

1. The Apostle John - He met and followed Christ...who wouldn't want to sit down and talk with him over dinner?

2. C.S. Lewis - He's just someone I'd love to sit down and have a long conversation with....about his beliefs, his thoughts on the way the world is now, how he came up with the ideas for his books, everything!

3. Jean Auel (she's actually still alive) - She's been working on a single series of books for thirty years and she's still not finished. She's traveled all over the world doing research for them. I'd love to hear some of the stories she has to tell.

What about you, Darlene?

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right Amy, I meant authors living or dead.;)

First guest would be Mark Twain, oh how we'd laugh at the tales he'd tell.

Paula Dean because she'd be howling with laughter with us, have stories of her own to share & just get along so well with Mr. Twain. ;)

Fannie Flagg, her books make me smile too.

Guess you see a theme here...I can just picture us at dinner eating fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob with a wonderful strawberry shortcake for dessert. After dinner we'd be sitting on the porch swinging & rocking away to the wee hours just talking & laughing. The next day our faces & stomachs would hurt from the workout of major, major belly laughs. :) Oh, I'd be grinning forever...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Patrica Cornwell --To discuss her book on Jack the Ripper.

Jane Austen---Just because all her books are so well writen.

J.R.R Tolkien---to find out what he was trying to say in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Also to find out his thoughts on the Christian life now and if I am lucky C.S Lewis will stop by for a chat since they were friends.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree with J.R.R. Tolkien, I would love to listen to him talk about Middle Earth.
I also agree with Jean Auel, I love the books that I have read so far.
My third would be Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven is my all time favorite poem, and I would like to talk to him about all his macabe stories.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My three would be:

1. Dave Ramsey because I am following his plan.
2. Agatha Christie because I love her Ms. Marple books.
3. Tolkien because I love the Lord of The Rings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
the three authors
Charles Dickens- I have read everything he ever wrote
Stephen King- The scariest book I have ever read is his book "IT"
Grace Metalcious- the writer of Peyton Place. She was way ahead of her time.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Wow, that is a tough question. There are so many great authors that I would live to talk to over dinner. I guess if I have to pick 3 they would be

1) Will Rogers - I love his wit, he was a wonderful wordsmith and since I spent a good portion of my childhood years growing up in Oklahoma, I would enjoy hearing his stories of Oklahoma's earlier years.

2) Mark Twain - I think that having Mark Twain and Will Rogers at the same table would be wonderful. They were both such champions of the common man and their wit and wisdom would be a treasure to behold.

3) Maya Angelou - Her words have a way of flowing like a beautiful river. I would love to just sit and listen to her. She would make a perfect addition to the dinner table.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would love to talk to:

Anne Rice - the personal spiritual battles that her characters face is very parallel to my own searching and she has said that it reflects hers as well wo I would talk about that

Christopher Moore - the guy is just hilarious in writing...he must be in person

Elie Weisel - his book Night, was absolutley the most heart-wrenching I've read, I'd talk to him about what he thinks of the world today compared to what he lived through in WWII

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Louisa May Alcott-love her books, her views on family, etc.

James Patterson-he intrigues me.

Sandra Boynton-she writes children's books that my son absolutely loves. I want to know where she comes up with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Only three? Hmm...

Jacques Derrida - his theories have revolutionized literary criticism, and I'd love to listen to him explain them himself.

Lewis Carroll - "Jabberwocky" is my favorite poem and I'd just love to BS with him.

George Eliot - she was revolutionary. Not to mention witty and sarcastic!

(I would have said Jean M. Auel, but I'm annoyed with her because I didn't like book 5 and I don't expect the 6th for another 10 years or so!)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oscar Wilde= I named my son after his character "Dorian Grey"

C.S. Lewis= The Screwtape Letters is one of my favorite books.

St. Anthony of Padua= He's a saint!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Ohhh...just three? Hmmm...

I'd love to meet Stephen King because the novel I wrote is dark and twisted and yet I am not. I'd like to meet someone else who writes strange things and see if I need to be worried.

I'd also enjoy meeting William Shakespeare. First of all, to find out if he really was the author of all of those beautiful works. Secondly, if he was, I'd love know what inspired such words. I imagine he must have been an incredibly passionate man.

Finally, hmmmm...I don't know...maybe Judy Blume. I loved her stuff as a young girl and I'd love to sit down and chat with her and perhaps get some insight so that I'm that much smarter when Julia hits her teenage years.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Laura Ingals Wilder - I'd have loved to known the wild praires.

J.D. Robb - Her idea on Mother Pay is outstanding.

Pearl Buck - Her life in China sounds so intresting.

But I'd love to be invited to that chicken dinner on the front porch! Paula is coming to my town in June and I've tickets to her cooking class.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Ooh, Laura Ingalls Wilder...hadn't thought of her!!! Love that one! Set a place for her at my table!

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But I'd love to be invited to that chicken dinner on the front porch! Paula is coming to my town in June and I've tickets to her cooking class.

Laurie in Bradenton
Oh my, you lucky duck! I just love relaxed fun people who just make the best of things and enjoy. I've never made a real fried dinner of anything in my life but if you'all want come on up to NY, I'd do my best. ;)

Have fun Laurie!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts