Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the title of a book that tells the story of your area of the country or the world? A historical novel from Florida is:
"A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith.

It covers the years from 1858 to 1968 and is a history of the proud people that lived at that time and how their lives and experiences led to a modern Florida.

I really enjoyed reading about cities and areas that I know of or have been to. Also, the book uses names of settlers that are well know to me. This is a wonderful book and I would recommend to anyone.

A Land Remembered by Patrick D. Smith Summary | BookRags.com

·
Super Moderator
19,935 Posts
I love stuff set here in Minnesota, or in the area anyway. Nevada Barr's book Winter Study opens with the main character about to fly out of a sea plane base I'm very familiar with. The book is a murder mystery set on Isle Royale in Lake Superior.

William Kent Krueger's mysteries are set in Aurora, Minnesota, which is near here. He captures the feel of the Iron Range and the northwoods here very well.

I just discovered Brian Freeman's books, which are set in Duluth, Minnesota, and mention many places we're familiar with. It's a beautiful city and an interesting place.

John Sandford's books are also set in Minnesota. I'm just getting started reading some of his.

We went to Wyoming last summer, and it was fun re-reading some of C. J. Box's books over the winter and recognizing places we had visited then.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
An old classic is "State Fair" by Edna Ferber, set in Iowa.

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
656 Posts
Susan Wittig Albert writes mysteries set in the Texas Hill Country. Pretty far from my part of the state, but very enjoyable stories.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Bridges of Madison County.

A funny that I've seen before that is 'set' in Iowa is the Chronicles of Narn, IA. Get it? :lol:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, set in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint sections of said boro. It's always a little thrill seeing the names of the streets I grew up with in print. :)

Theresa :wave2:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I get it, McD!!!!!!!!! Funny! At least a part of Little House on the Prairie series was set in Iowa. Mary had to go to school in Vinton, IA, at the school for the blind.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have to think on that. Fiction is mostly Steven King novels.

A lot of books mention characters going to Maine or being from Maine. One book I liked was " That Camden Summer" I believe that was the title. It has been awhile since I read it.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
There was a non fiction book about a man's life growing up during the depression era and he mentions growing up in the very house I now live in.

Now that is very strange/unique/fun having not only places and streets you know but also having rooms in your house mentioned down to details of the room.

You could actually stand some where and imagine him doing something like melt lead to make his lead toy soldiers.

It was so much fun!

We have met the author and now he sends us info about the house. IT is quite fun to see "children of the past" posing for a picture by your garage or sitting in the same spot on the poach where you often take your children's pictures.

Also not a "set where I live" but still really neat. There is a book written about a family on the Oregon trail based on actual events. The family ends up being actual members of my family tree. The book was made into a movie also. The kids loved watching that, asking which girl was their "how many greats grandmother?"

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Tons of Amish romance novels, but I wouldn't know any names, I've never read any.

Lots of historical books, because of the covered bridges, Washington slept here, Ben Franklin, etc, etc. Of course there's the William Penn thing, hence Pa in the first place. The underground railroad was alive and well here, so books on that. Still more books about the Native Americans in this area. And then there's the local books on the hauntings in the area, kind of creepy.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There is several written about this area..I don't remember the name or author but the first bomb dropped from an airplane was not far from here..Brothers Notorous is one that I can remember and and Charlie and the Shawneetown dane..is another..

·
19,119 Posts
Interesting topic - need to dig into the memory -

Incident at Exeter - written when I lived there, met the author at a coffee house in Portsmouth - weird, but I do believe him

Most of Michner's Hawaii was set herre in Lahaina.

Will have to think about all the other places I've lived.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts