Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying this: Bottle & Jar Cutter- There are several other versions online as well.

Do you think it would be worth the cost of $31 ? Does anyone have something like this and use it a lot? Just how many uses could there be for used jars? My husband called me a jar hoarder yesterday. I just have a hard time getting rid of jars when I'm sure that if they were more attractive they could be used in home decor and decorating or something...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Google cutting bottles....you can do so with string or rubber band and a flame without buying a device for it. I hoard jars also!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can buy a hand-held glass cutter for under $2 (I've had people on-line say the flame trick doesn't always work). Personally, I think you should re-cycle your glass jars. Unless you are already inspired to use them, you will never get around to creating anything with them. Save yourself from the clutter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had one, a while ago. Could have been user error but - whatever I tried to do, didn't have the desired effect. I passed the tool on.

I agree with CookieLee - unless you are champing at the bit, already, to create things and are only waiting for an endless supply of cut-down bottles . . . don't even start.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've seen a few videos out there on how to cut bottles down with household items. i think it looks super neat...and you would never have to buy glasses again!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I donate my wine bottles etc. to an organization that recycles glass into artwork, glasses, vases, etc. and job training for immigrants.

I just took in a huge box of soda bottles my FIL gave us (?) and now have a bunch of wine bottles from having company for a week (they bought it, we did not)

I use mason jars with the plastic lids, but that is all the jars I *recycle* for home use.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
If you don't have room for the jars, where's the space going to come from for the cut-down jars?

I used to keep every single glass jar too, but I don't anymore. If I need one for something, I never have to wait long to empty one, so for me there's no point in keeping them all. Especially since I have lots of canning jars, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your replies. You all just saved me $31 !!! So glad I posted here before making an impulse buy that I'm sure I would have regretted. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts