Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these yet?

I'm curious to see how these work vs the sheets, for those of you who use them.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I tried one and as far as static cling is concerned, it's not worth it. The clothes smell awesome. That's about as good as the bar does.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
400 Posts
I tried the Bounce bar and I have to agree with MomToTwoBoys. The static is an issue. I didn't notice a problem until I had dried about 10 loads of laundry. I'm glad I had a coupon to give it a try. I won't be buying it again.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I love the scent, but I don't think it works nearly as well as the sheets. When I'm drying clothes that have a lot of static, like fleece, I have to add either liquid softener or a half dryer sheet to control the static. It works ok for things like towels or jeans that don't produce a lot of static, though. I got mine free or almost free, so I stocked up on them and since I have them, I'm using 'em.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The cost is ridiculous! I've always used just 1/2 of the cheapie sheets and our clothing is perfectly soft and static-free. Although in winter, with the flannel sheets, I do spray Static-Guard on between each layer when I remake the beds.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You can control static (and save money) without expensive, and often toxic, softeners. Most people who use softeners are not aware of the dangerous chemicals in them and their possible effects.

My sister-in-law's physician cautioned her that softeners were the cause of her skin condition, and fragrance-free softeners were worse for her because they had even MORE chemicals that caused her skin problems. So much so, that after hugging people at a recent family reunion, her neck broke out from being in contact with the clothes of other people who use softener on their clothing.

Softeners are not suggested for use on clothing treated with flame retardant (like kids p.j.'s).

From Dreft: We do caution against using any fabric softener on children’s sleepwear or other garments labeled as flame resistant as it may reduce flame resistance.

This information is also stated on most fabric softeners (check the label).

I happen to use a laundry detergent (Charlie's Soap) that suggests you NOT use softeners of any kind with their product. Chemical build-up from softeners affects the cleaning ability of the detergent.

1. AVOID STATIC - Static is caused by over-drying synthetic fabrics. Remove synthetic fabrics before they are completely dry to avoid static. If you are drying a load of clothing that is a combination of cotton, blends, and synthetic fabrics, then set a short cycle and remove the synthetic fabrics while the rest of the load is still damp, avoiding static all together because of the dampness remaining in the natural fabrics, then finish drying the remainder of the load.

2. You can also break the static charge by spritzing the dried load of clothing with plain water. Give the dryer a few more seconds of tumbling to disperse the moisture. Adding a small damp towel for the last few tumbles of the dryer will also discharge the static.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I had gotten a few coupons for $2.50 of a bar so I tried it. I loved it. The clothes smelled terrific. However before the bar was gone it fell apart. I still threw it in the dryer but it sure went " clunk clunk"

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had my hand on this product the other day and was wondering how it worked. I use Downy liquid or Snuggle Blue Sparkle because for me, they have the longest lasting scent.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
You can control static (and save money) without expensive, and often toxic, softeners. Most people who use softeners are not aware of the dangerous chemicals in them and their possible effects.
Thanks GL - a great post - very informative - as usual!!

What you might have left out is the fact that using the softeners in the dryer also can SHORTEN THE LIFE OF YOUR DRYER. And since it plugs up the filter can also cause a dryer fire........one of the main reasons for house fires each year.

It would seem that these 'cakes' would be EVEN STRONGER and coat the filter even faster than the sheets do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts