Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, I was doing my regular shopping at Aldi's. I buy the majority of my groceries there for the week, and I usually spend between $50-$75 depending on the week. I don't think I have ever spent over $100 there.

So anyhoo, as I started bagging my groceries the family behind me was checking out. They had 3 carts full of food (mother, father & teenage daughter each pushing a cart)...They're grand total : $474 and some cents! :thud: Holey Moley!

So, I didn't have the guts to ask...but luckily another woman did! She asked if they were shopping for the month, and the mom said "Nope, just the week." (here is where my mouth drops open), so the nosy woman asks "Well, my goodness, how many people are in your family?" (here is where my jaw literally hit the floor) the woman replies "Just the three of us!"

Wowza! Could you even imagine spending almost $500 a week on groceries? And at ALDI's, nonetheless! I don't think I could do it if I tried!

Ok, I just had to share, becuase I was totally flabbergasted!

·
Registered
948 Posts
OMG!:yikes: that is INSANE!!

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Wow. That's $2000 a month on food. I hope it was all high class steak, expensive asparagus, and fine wine. I'd hate to think they were eating that much mac and cheese every week.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My oh my oh my! I don't spend that for 9 of us. Not sure I could if I tried. How much can they possibly eat?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Holy Moly is right! That would feed our family of 3 for atleast 5 months. Glad to hear she was shopping at Aldi's but OMG that's way too much money for a weeks worth of groceries.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Perhaps they didn't appreciate the nosiness and decided to go with the story that they were shopping just for the week. I know a lot of people who would have answered that way!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Were they really Large people? I'm overweight and I couldn't possibly eat and entire cart of groceries in a week. Sorry if that is rude, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one wondering.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Perhaps they didn't appreciate the nosiness and decided to go with the story that they were shopping just for the week. I know a lot of people who would have answered that way!

I know many like that too that wouldn't want people to know they are stocking food etc.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Yowza! :thud:

When my BIG sons were home yet, and it was BIG dh and me and them, we didn't even come close to that a week---at 'regular' type stores!! And half the time we had their BIG friends staying for dinner. I'm talking at least 3 men around the table 6'3" to 6'6", and all 200-300 pounds. Athletic types with appetites!

She had to be kidding.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, we would go bankrupt if we spent that much!

·
Registered
900 Posts
For 3 people, one week?! No way! They must have been pulling your leg. I hope they have a big pantry and a couple of freezers.

I thought this thread was gonna be about the price increases again. Since I shop a lot of stores loss leaders, I usually only go to Aldi once a month. But if sales are bad then I sometimes end up there more often. Every single time I go there the prices just keep increasing. The ground turkey is now $1.19 per lb!! Up another .20 since the last time I was there...I found one in the way back bottom of my deep freeze dated 12/2007 and it was .69/lb!! I usually try to rotate...LOL but I guess that one got away from me. Geesh...that has to be about a 40% increase in price (guesstimation cause I don't feel like doin' the math.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
sounds to me like people making a few large buys of preparations and not wanting others to know what they were doing. Many of us preppers dont like others knowing what we are doing as many of us are tin hat club members as well...;)

I would have liked to actually look at what was in the carts. If it was mostly canned dry goods, and items good for long term storage i can almost assure you they was just telling a bad story..:)

·
Registered
450 Posts
They may have been doing some stocking/prepping or they may just spend a lot of money on groceries... and I myself can't spend that much on a weekly basis. However, I do believe no matter what I choose to spend on groceries, if someone were to be rude enough to ask me what, why etc I'm doing this, I would have to give them a look like they are NUTS for being so rude as to ask me. Ultimately it's none of my biz what others spend at the grocery store or why, just as it is nobody's business what I spend.

Yesterday I spent well over two hundred doing some stocking up on long term stuff I know we'll be using throughout this winter regardless. I'm sure to others it seemed like I had a wad of cash to blow, but I see stocking up on canned goods, non perishables and such at this point as a hedge against inflation. I don't feel like I need to explain that to some stranger behind me in the checkout line. Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A lady in front of me @ Aldi's had a filled to the top cart and spent only 164$. I said to her..I can't believe all the food you got for 164. Aren't we lucky to have an Aldi's store near us. That started a nice conversation between us. She had 4 kids and that was for a week, and sometimes she might have a few jars or cans left over. I saw nothing wrong with my curiousity. Many times I will ask "is that any good?" on a food item I've never tasted, I always say thank you. Maybe it was the tone of voice the person was using..the people just gave her an earful!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
WOW

that feeds my entire family of 5 for a couple of months.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have to admit I have done this. One time I was shopping for the month and I did have a lot of things. I had hits some sales on canned goods to go in storage. A lady behind me ask if I was shopping just for the week. I said YES, and I didn't do to bad when you know I have a family of 12! She looked at me like I had fallen to earth from a different planet. Then she ask me how I did it? I had to snicker all the way to the car as my parting shot to her was.....oh no I forgot toilet paper! And believe it or not all these groceries will turn to [email protected]*@! She just stood there and watched me leave. I told my husband how badly I hated noisy people. I have even had a family member dig in my grocery cart to see what I was buying! I will continue to make up stories when people are rude, they want to know and I will tell them!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts