Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Our dishwasher died last week. I opened it up and the heating element had broken in two in one part and there was a pool of nasty water sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher.

We got a new one and it was installed yesterday. I just ran the first load this morning and when I went to empty it I saw there was water sitting in the bottom again.

Its not draining at all. The water goes all of the way up to the overflow valve. That seems to be working, but the main drain isn't.

Its brand new so I know there is no food or gunk stuck in it. Both of my sinks drain fine, so I don't think the pipes are clogged.

Any suggestions?!?!

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
What Laurie said...

Another thing is maybe you have created a "trap". In other words does the drain line go "up" and then down?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No food or gunk ~ its a brand new dishwasher and the dishes were not overly dirty when I put them in (no hunks of food or anything)

No kinks in the drain hose and it doesn't go up then down. It pretty much just goes up. There is also no water sitting in teh drain hose, so the clog is somewhere in the dishwasher.

Guess I'm going to have to call Sears??

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I found this on Google:

* Some machines have a drain sump area that should be cleaned. Open the dishwasher door and inspect in the bottom area. The item is usually labeled.
* Plugged drain hoses are one of the most probable causes of this type of failure. A good practice is to scrape all food particles bigger than 1/8 inch off of all dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. Most often something like a small bone, popcorn, peanuts etc. have become lodged in the drain hose. The first place to inspect is where the drain hose from the drainpipe connects to the house drain system, likely under the kitchen sink. Disconnect and inspect both the end of the hose and the nipple on the house drain attachment. If both are clear put the end of the drain hose in a pail and turn the dishwasher on a drain cycle, if you are lucky the lodged item will come out in the pail. If that didn't work, follow the entire route of the drain hose back to the machine and look for kinks or folds in the hose.
* Many dishwashers use a drain valve with an electric solenoid. This valve opens and diverts the water to the drain. Sometimes the solenoid, or the diverting lever, sticks and prevents the dishwasher from draining or filling properly. We may have to replace the solenoid or pump assembly.
* Your dishwasher pump ejects the water. The pump is usually mounted directly to the motor, then attached to the bottom of the dishwasher. You can reach the pump from inside the dishwasher, but first you need to remove the lower rack, the spray arm, and the spray arm support. Look for an impeller--a round plastic fan blade-type of device that spins around. This is the wash impeller, which forces the water through the spray arm. Beneath the wash impeller is the drain impeller, which is similar in size and shape to the wash impeller. The drain impeller pushes the water toward the drain port. These components make up the pump. If any of the pump components are defective, you need to replace them.
* One brand of dishwasher uses a belt to drive the pump. If this belt is broken or has fallen off, we need to replace it.
* Check the Timer - Part of what the timer does is control the motor and drain valve. If the timer doesn't work properly, the water may not drain and you need to replace the timer. This problem is uncommon.

If it is brand new, I would the place you bought it from.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Being that it's brand new, I would definitely call them first.

We bought a new dishwasher last year and within a week or two it was making a loud clunking noise. THe guy came to fix it, and ended up just replacing it with a new dishwasher, which I was happy about. Buying local in a small town has its perks!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
the trap thing may it. our brand new dishwasher had the same problem, it even overflowed a couple times.. turns out, it was the "J" shape hose under the sink.....
works like a charm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts