Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brandy Balls/Rum Balls/Bourbon Balls

Recipe Description
Can use the same recipe - just change liquor. I make one batch and split it into thirds.​
Preparation Steps:
Finely crush vanilla wafer cookies (I give them a ride in the food processor)
Finely chop pecans (same ride)​
Level of Difficulty:
easy​
Time Needed:
10 minutes​
Ingredients:
3 c. crushed vanilla wafer cookies (plus reserve for rolling, if desired)
2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. finely chopped nuts (I like pecans, walnuts are okay) (plus reserve for rolling, if desired)
1/4 c. cocoa (plus reserve for rolling, if desired)
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. brandy (rum or bourbon)
Chocolate sprinkes for rolling, if desired​
Serves:
approx 5 dozen cookies​
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together.

Roll into small balls (recipe calls for 1", but I do closer to 1/2" - they are "potent"). If mix is too sticky, add a bit more of the crushed wafers.

If desired, roll each ball in crushed nuts, wafers, cocoa, or chocolate sprinkles to garnish.

Cookies taste better if you allow them to sit a few days in an airtight container in the fridge. Don't mix liquors in the container, though, or flavour will be affected.

Freezes nicely.​

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thank you - I've been looking for my copy of this recipe. Now I can stop looking.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
This one is very similar to mine. The measurements are just a little different. (just a couple of tbsps of corn syrup, more wafers and double the alcohol) Then instead of cocoa powder they get rolled in granulated sugar. I make them for my 89 year old grandmother with Very Old Barton :yucky: every year at Thanksgiving and let them set in my fridge in glass jars until Christmas for her. They get VERY strong when they sit. She munches on them, one or two in the evenings for months. I use a different brand and sometimes take the alcohol down to 1/3 c when they are for other people.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
These things are so GOOD. Thanks for the recipe.

I knew a lady who once made these and put them in a Christmas tin to bring to work. They blew the lid off the tin but we ate them anyway. Funny!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts