Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We love going to Branson, and it is so close to us. This year we plan to take the oldest 2 grandkids along. They are 5 and 8, and I think they will love Silver Dollar City. We are also contemplating taking them to "Noah" and "Dixie Stampede". These are two shows that we have not seen. If you have seen them, do you think they will keep the kids' interest?

We've checked on costs, and can do the whole 3 day trip for about $500. This includes food (most of which we bring from home, but also motel has breakfast), lodging, show tickets, Silver Dollar City admission, and probably gas. We've got the money saved up, but just want to be sure that we pick shows that the kids would enjoy.

Anything else in the Branson area that you recommend for kids?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I highly recommend Dixie Stampede . . . my 4yo was enthralled the entire show (which if you knew how hard it is for him to sit still :toothy: ). Also, there is a pre-show in the carriage house (about 45 minutes earlier than the dinner show) and that was fantastic. We are going in June and had debated getting tickets for Noah this time around, but I think we are going to wait a year or two until my kids (4 & 2) are older; I think it would be perfect for your grandchildren though. I have not seen it myself, but it gets rave reviews. My sister just took her kids to Branson a few weeks ago and they tried the Shanghai Circus . . . she said it was amazing. HTH. :vibes:

ETA: They also might like Ride the Ducks . . . Orion requested that one again this year, too.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Our kids saw Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach, SC, when they were about 10 and 6. They enjoyed it a lot, and so did DH and I. It wasn't cheap, but we did have a nice meal, and the show was fun.

·
Registered
945 Posts
We are pretty close to Branson as well and yep, we love Dixie Stampede- I didn't think the cost was terrible considering you get dinner AND a show for about the same price as most of the shows with no meal.

If you're taking the grandkids I also recommend the Branson Scenic Railway. It's kind of out of the way, not in the touristy section at all but all the way through town on the residential end. I don't remember the cost because it's been a while but it was a cool trip and they have a glass dome on top that is a great view for the kids. The Ozark Mountain Ducks are cheaper than Ride the Ducks and just as good IMHO.

You mentioned you live nearby and I don't know if that means in MO or not but I've heard rumors (but haven't been since I heard to actually ask or try) that if you live in MO you get BIG discounts to some of the shows. They don't advertise the fact but I guess some things are offset with tax money so residents get discounts. I have NO IDEA if this is true because the person who told me is a little flaky but I think it would be worth asking if you live in the state.

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elphie, yes, we are in-state. I haven't seen this discount mentioned in any of the on-line sites, but I might try the Missouri Tourism site and see if anything pops up. I'll also try Branson Tourism site. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Okay, I found this site and it is not for all of MO, only select counties so I don't know if it applies to you (It doesn't us, :( ).

Reactions: forHISglory

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have never been to Branson. Enjoy!

Reactions: forHISglory

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elphie, we are too far north to take advantage of these deals. And golly gee! They ARE deals, aren't they? If I lived there and had the money, I'd be at shows all the time. But it makes me wonder if they are anticipating a slow summer due to the recession.

Thanks for the link, even though I can't use it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fiddlesticks, we don't live in any of the counties either, but I did find this when I made our reservations. They don't have the 2009 participant list up yet, but you can see the 2008 list :

Gas Buster Summer Promotion from Branson Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.explorebranson.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=158

Okay, off to go look up the Branson Scenic Railway! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts