Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kroger had bratwurst on sale so I bought some for the first time.
Does anyone have any good recipes or know what I can do with it other than cook it in beer.

I heard that if you cook it in the crockpot it loses its flavor...so any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
The only way they will loose flavor is if you boil them in plain water for hours. They usually come pretty heavily spiced.

I grill ours and serve on buns. Neither of us much care for the taste of beer. At least any beer I'd cook brats in.

They cook up pretty quickly if they are raw, and if they are the cooked kind you just need to heat them, even a microwave will do.

Serve on buns, or by themselves with sides like cole slaw, potato salad or casserole, beans, cooked apples, or sauerkraut.

I have also cut them up and used in lentil stew and in cheddar soup.

·
4,028 Posts
I like to parboil mine (if uncooked) then roast them in a hot oven (400F) to make them crisp.

I've also taken pre-cooked brats, sliced into rounds then pan fried with some onions and served over noodles.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I've cooked them in the crockpot with sauerkraut. If you add some onion and brown sugar to the pot it's especially good! Serve on buns with a good mustard....goodness, I'm making myself hungry! Adding bratwurst to my grocery list :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I haven't made this in a long time (DH isn't a big sausage/hotdog person) but this is yummy. Fry 6 or 8 bacon slices, remove from pan and set aside. Chop some carrot/celery/onion and fry in bacon grease. Peel some potatoes, cut larger ones into halves/quarters and add to sauteed carrot/celery/onion. Add bacon, crumbled and add a few spices if you like - thyme, bayleaf, peppercorns. Add one jar or a couple cans sauerkraut, drained and rinsed in water. Top with chicken broth or water with bouillion. Simmer until potatoes are tender. When potatoes are almost done, fry bratwurst in a separate pan(other sausage works well with this too) and serve bratwurst with sauerkraut/potato mixture.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't have the recipe here, but I brown them in a pan, then add a thinly sliced onion, two apples thinly sliced, about half a cup of apple juice and a drained/rinsed can of sauerkraut. Cover and let steam until brats are cooked through and onions and apples are soft. I serve with mashed potatoes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.