Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make the same homemade bread all the time and for some reason my dough isn't rising. I may have had my water too hot. Can I save it????

·
4,028 Posts
Possibly. LOL, I tried to save my dough one time by blooming more yeast with some sugar and then making a slurry of it with some flour to knead into the dough.

I can't remember if it worked but it is worth a try. The cost of added yeast vs. pitching the dough in my mind.

Please let us know if it works.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Good idea! I would not have thought of that, but will have to try it if I have the problem in the future. I don't kill the yeast with the hot water, but getting foodstuffs that have been mis-handled in shipping or storing is a problem in the desert!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had the opposite problem the other day,guess I put in too much yeast and the bread loaf almost took over the oven lol
Reminded me of the I Love Lucy Episode when she makes bread and its huge lol

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had the opposite problem the other day,guess I put in too much yeast and the bread loaf almost took over the oven lol
Reminded me of the I Love Lucy Episode when she makes bread and its huge lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay so this is embarassing....let me preface this by saying that I used to bake for a restaurant for many years..I'm also a personal chef...you would think I would remember to at least PUT the yeast in when baking bread????
Nope...today I whipped up a couple of loaves of Buttermilk Oat bread...same recipe I've been using for years....turned it out onto the counter, covered it and let it rest. Went to workout and decided I'd come back in 10 minutes and shape to rise in the pans. I was late getting back to the bread and fully expected it too have seriously doubled. Nope...it was just as I had left it. What??? Apparently Little Miss Culinary School forgot the yeast. Duh!
I threw it back in the Mixmaster, and added the yeast which I dissolved in a bit of warm water. ( I use what's called a cold yeast...it doesn't require proofing before mixing) re-kneaded the whole thing with a little extra flour and started over. Turned out perfect!
I know yeast breads can be finicky but I've decided that they really do come out better if you actually remember to add the yeast!! :dopey:

Hope your bread came out ok in the end!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope....didn't work. I ended up pitching it which really bites because I hate wasting stuff like that. How do you make Indian Fry Bread for future reference???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts