Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the difference a good bread flour can make but it costs more than regular all-purpose flour. Is there a "recipe" for making ap flour into bread flour? Just add gluten? If so, how much per cup of flour used? Or am I just better off money-wise buying bread flour?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The biggest different between all-purpose and bread flour is the amount of gluten: bread flour has more of it. But it may seem annoying to have to keep a giant bag of bread flour around if you’re only an occasional bread-baker. Enter a product known as a gluten flour, something you can usually add one tablespoon of to each cup of all-purpose flour to turn it into bread flour.

I grind my own wheat , and don't buy bread flour as I can't have one of the additives and my bread is always yummy. I also use Italian flour for pizza and my breads , love that the best.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have some gluten (though I don't remember how old it is...oops!) I'll have to try that when I'm out of bread flour and compare. I also need to compare the price of bread flour to the price of a bag of gluten. If it's only 1 Tbsp per cup of flour, it might be cheaper.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have found that using unbleached flour gives the bread a texture similar to bread flour. Not sure why that would be though....

·
Registered
669 Posts
Unbleached flour is slightly stronger - higher gluten - than bleached flour. I add as little as 1 tsp of gluten to a cup of all-purpose flour.

Gluten is a bit on the expensive side, but it will last forever if you keep it in a sealed container in the fridge.

Also, if you have GFS in your area check them out for high gluten flour. It's higher in gluten than bread flour, and I mix it with a-p to make a bread flour, use it on its own for things like bagels.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally tried adding gluten to white flour. It worked great. It was bleached but when that runs out I'll switch to unbleached. The new HyVee in town has unbleached available in their store brand for under $2, same price as their bleached. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts