Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited - a friend just gave me a bread making machine!!!! Only problem is that she does not have the directions.

Does anyone have the directions for the Sunbeam 5890 bread machine?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starsapphire - you are a wonder. Mahalo plenty!!

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mahalo Frugal Warrior!! Believe it or not, this morning I had googled too - just not the right thing!! Sure appreciate you and StarSapphire coming to the rescue. Now I can plan on bread making this weekend!! Hope it works, cause the machine is the right size to store easily and the right price!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The only thing i have to say though is go slow. Bread is great to give as gifts but too easy to eat a whole loaf bit by nibbly bit. I think this is when I started to have a prob. w/ weight. Envision-home alone all snuggly w/ winter storm eating your weight in sour dough. That would be me. I mostly get the cheap clearance bread because I know I can avoid that.
In a complete 180 degree comment i have tons of bread books and your welcome to pm for specific recipes.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mahalo for the advice and recipes. Bread is a total downfall for me, but the reason that I want to make it is for my DH!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Wow, your lucky day Maui......

I have a Sunbeam but don't know the model number. You will love it and I agree w/frugalw........hot out of the machine I can eat a whole loaf!!

Now you need a bread slicer.......not knife......the alignment thing. I can never cut mine even......love my bread slicer.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Wow, your lucky day Maui......

I have a Sunbeam but don't know the model number. You will love it and I agree w/frugalw........hot out of the machine I can eat a whole loaf!!

Now you need a bread slicer.......not knife......the alignment thing. I can never cut mine even......love my bread slicer.

What a fabulous score on the bread machine! (And I agree....WAY too easy to eat a whole loaf!)

Frugalfanny - I'm curious about your bread slicer. What is it like? I have a knife I use that has a guide on it that I got on QVC years ago, but don't think I've seen an actual bread slicer before. Sounds interesting.

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DH slices everything really well - no way I'm buying anything else ;) LOL

Once I master this, really am looking forward to making bread gifts. But you know, I think that I am ending up with more gift ideas than people!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Frugalfanny - I'm curious about your bread slicer. What is it like? I have a knife I use that has a guide on it that I got on QVC years ago, but don't think I've seen an actual bread slicer before. Sounds interesting.
Hey and I am curious about your knife....do you like it? Don't think I have ever seen one.

The bread slicer....wish I could draw on this thing but....you set the bread in between two vertical pieces of....(mine is wood but have seen them in hard plastic too)...wood and it has spaces on each of the vertical pieces that serves as a knife guide when slicing. (hope this makes sense) It cuts about the size of store bought and if you want fat pieces you just skip a slot. Mine is about 8 to 10 inches long and you just move the bread up when you run out of slots.

I love mine and use it all the time. Without it I do a horrible job of cutting the bread.

If you saw one at a thrift shop you might not even know what it was for.......a friend of mine didn't, when I found mine. It was brand new.......didn't even have a knife mark on it. That was years ago......now I am due for a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember seeing this advertised and wondering if it was as good as they said - now I knoe!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I *love* my knife! Like I mentioned, I bought it years ago from QVC and I've gotten so much use out of it -- everything from meats to bread to fruits and veggies, you name it. It looks just like the one pictured here except mine is blue: http://www.as-seen-on-tv-products.ws/store/delipro-deli-knife-pi-653.html?image=0
I remember seeing those too.......I might like it better as the slicer is the pits to store...wish it would fold down.

Hmmmm.....my knife drawer is full.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Maui, I have a bread machine and I use it alot for bread, rolls and pizza dough! Everything always tastes delicious

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The only thing i have to say though is go slow. Bread is great to give as gifts but too easy to eat a whole loaf bit by nibbly bit. I think this is when I started to have a prob. w/ weight. Envision-home alone all snuggly w/ winter storm eating your weight in sour dough. That would be me. I mostly get the cheap clearance bread because I know I can avoid that.
Oh man that would be me too. That's exactly why I will not dive into breadmaking. We're already in trouble with the banana bread and freezer jam kick I'm on right now.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Glad you found a source for your bread machine. I have converted all my recipes to a bread machine. I never bake in it, just use it for the "work". I make all my breads - loaves, rolls, burger/hot dog buns, cinnamon rolls, English Muffins.....

Check your local library for Bread Machine Cookbooks for some new ideas besides white bread. My favorite cookbook and reference book for beginners, and the one I give to everyone who takes a Bread Machine Class from me, is Bread Machines for Dummies by Glenna Vance and Tom Lacalamita (who also has a number of other great bread machine cookbooks).

·
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mahalo Grainlady - I'll check out that Basic book - sounds perfect to and for me!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts