Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this inter-changeable with regular yeast? I make bread by hand, but I noticed my store carries a generic version of bread machine yeast that is much cheaper than the name-brand regular yeast.

Thanks,
Becky

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've never noticed any difference. But when I used a bread machine I'd just use the dough cycle and let the dough rise for a second time in a bowl. As far as I'm concerned, yeast is yeast unless it's old.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have used the Fleischmann's yeast that says "great for bread machines" on the label, and it seems to work fine when you use it the old-fashioned way. :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use nothing but plain old yeast that I buy at Sam's Club. I get (2) 1 pound packages for about $3. I use it with my bread machine and also to make dough by hand. I've NEVER had any problems.
I looked at the little jars of "bread machine yeast", but at almost $5 for a very tiny jar, I refuse to buy it. I've been using the regular yeast for atleast 3 years now. I make some sort of bread about 3 times a week.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Regular yeast is processed a certain way so that it works best when it is started in water and then added to the bread ingredients.

Bread machine yeast is made to be added dry to the other ingredients, and then activate quickly once the moisture from the dough hits it, it does not need to be started. Bread machine cycles have typically shorter rise times than the old-fashion hand method. So by using bread machine yeast you might see a faster rise than with the other yeast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts