Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a bread maker last year thinking it would save me money in the long run. The thing is I have only used it about 3 times because my bread comes out very thick and crusty and seems more like a desert bread then one you would use to make sandwiches or toast. Is your bread supposed to come out thick and harden in one day? I followed the directions exactly as listed. Is there a way to make it come out looking more like the loaves you would buy in the store? Is it supposed to be soft? What setting is best for a regular loaf of white bread? Is there any easy recipes to make bread by hand? Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong would be great! the model I have is the Cooks Essentials 2lb Bread Maker. This one: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...pacity-Bread-Machine-w-8-Settings?&cookie=set
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,845 Posts
Look for recipes that contain eggs and sweeteners, such as sugar or honey. Both are tenderizers and will make a sweeter, softer loaf.

I quit buying buns completely after finding this recipe for sandwich buns here at FV:
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/breads-muffins/115973-sandwich-hamburger-buns-bread-machine.html

I don't roll them out, I just pinch off globs of dough and roll between my hands like meatballs. If I want to be fancy, I make the tops nice and smooth by doing it 'right' but I don't usually care and just rolling into balls is quicker.

You could try making this recipe completely in the bread machine instead of shaping into buns if you want bread instead of buns.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this a new or used maker? If it is used,maybe get a few of those kits and see if the maker is functioning correctly?
It was new although it was missing the mixing blade when it arrived, I had to have them send me one, so who really knows..lol It could be a dud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts