Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ladies or men that has a bread maker where do you get your flour to use in it? I have not found any bread machine flour at wm here haven't looked at krogers or Harps.Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Use regular All Purpose flour or bread flour from the grocery store. You don't need anything special for a bread machine.

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that what i thought but book said bread machine flour so i thought well maby there is a special kind.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I use regular flour in my bread machine. You can buy bread flour at the grocery store. I think it is Gold Medal at my Kroger.

I have found my experimenting with a recipe that I can make a good loaf of bread in my bread maker. It took a little time, but I always wrote down any adjustments as I slowly altered the recipe.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Bread flour is higher in protein, I think, and allows the bread to rise a bit better than all-purpose flour, but all-purpose flour works. Gold Medal makes a "Better-for-Bread" all-purpose flour. I get King Arthur brand bread flour at Raley's.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I get King Arthur Bread Flour at Market Basket, usually on sale. Works wonderfully well in my bread machine. Granted I only make dough with it, but it's perfect. And I use Fleischmann's Bread Machine Yeast.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You can use regular flour, especially if you live anywhere in the north. Northern red wheat has more gluten in it. If you live in the south, you probably have soft southern wheat which is wonderful for making cake and biscuits but not bread. Either way, you can buy wheat gluten separately and add a bit to your regular flour (1/4 cup or whatever is on the label).

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I buy bread flour at costco( it says excellent for bread machines on the bag ). Around here I can get it for almost half of what I would pay at the grocery although it only comes in #50 bags. I always used to use all purpose with not much difference. Supposed to be a better rise with bread flour. I use my bread machine all the time but just on the dough setting and finish in the oven. The most important thing I have found is to check the dough after 10 minutes or so and make sure you don't need to add more liquid or flour. I get better results when I leave the dough a tad bit sticky.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you do not want to keep both bread flour and all-purpose flour, buy some vital wheat gluten. Large supermarkets would carry it in the baking aisle - Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead and Hodgson are all nationally sold brands. Add one or two teaspoons to every cup of all purpose flour to bake the equivalent of bread flour. It is also great to use with your whole wheat breads or any bread that has non-bread flour in it (oatmeal, rye, etc). It strengthens the gluten in your dough, so that you get a better rise.

If you have GFS in your area, check out their flour - smaller bags than Costco. They carry high gluten flour - only flour for bagels! - and you can mix it half and half with all purpose to make a bread flour. Or use for pizza dough or other breads. I really like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts