Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my "Lifestyle Challenge"...

I'm a TV addict. And I don't want to be. When I'm worn from a long day at college and unending hours of study, I plop down in front of the TV and "mysteriously" it's suddenly 4 or more hours later. :ache:

I have so many other things I'd rather do...but I just don't. I'm a creature of habit and I have an obsessive personality. This needs to STOP.

I have big plans for my academic future and I will *NEED* those hours for homework, sleep, etc. Also, I want/need to get in a routine of exercising (before these 30 lbs of extra weight turn into 50...and 75...and, and, and).

So today I "took the plunge". The TV was unplugged. The antenna was disconnected. I kinda have a "lost" feeling...sorta hollow??

I have to learn to "adjust" to this new way of life and need, not only accountability as I go "cold turkey" (I've tried just reducing hours...that's a joke), but help structuring my 'down time'. I really don't know how to unwind/relax without the 'boob tube' on. And that scares me.

So...ideas, encouragement, correction when needed, and any other guidance would be greatly appreciated!! And if anyone wants to join me on this 'journey' I'd love it! The buddy-system is a great way to accomplish life changes! :D

Here's my starter list for "down time"...please help me build it...

~ Reading books I've wanted to read for years (though, I don't want this to be the 'main' focus since I already do a LOT of reading for school)
~ Listening to books on CD (get that imagination going)
~ Exercise - walks, ice skating, school gym
~ Embroidery (haven't done this in ages!!)

Here goes nothin'!! :)

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have been without Tv for years and love it.

You could combine the books on tape with the embroidery. I love to do this with crochet. The book is a light relaxation for the mind, and work keeps the hands busy (and if busy, not snacking!)

How big is your tv. Would be possible to stash it in a closet so you don't even see it? Out of sight, out of mind would help.

If you like the tv for company too, and the silence begins to feel oppresive, you could put on some music.

There are lots of things you could do, but if you use it for unwinding, you don't want them to be very strenuous.

You can spend time here, though it can be as addictive as tv.

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been without Tv for years and love it.

You could combine the books on tape with the embroidery. I love to do this with crochet. The book is a light relaxation for the mind, and work keeps the hands busy (and if busy, not snacking!)

How big is your tv. Would be possible to stash it in a closet so you don't even see it? Out of sight, out of mind would help.

If you like the tv for company too, and the silence begins to feel oppresive, you could put on some music.

There are lots of things you could do, but if you use it for unwinding, you don't want them to be very strenuous.

You can spend time here, though it can be as addictive as tv.
Definitely can't stash it in the corner...it's a 41" flat screen...it's Dh's "baby". ;) So, we're moving it next to his desk and it will ONLY be hooked up to his 2 game systems. (He's not much for TV...but LOOOOOOOVES his games).

Good idea to combine books on tape with embroidery! :)

And I'm thinking of going to the library regularly for "new" music since I don't have a large collection.

Do you feel "left out" of things when people make references to shows or commercials? I have a friend who's never owned a TV and she feels that way at times (though it doesn't encourage her to get a TV!! :) hehe).

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I live by myself so its easier not to have a tv. As for feeling left out, no. If something is mentioned, I just say I haven't seen it. I'm never really in situations where it is much discussed. There are sometimes things I would like to see, but the fancy passes without regret. There are just too many other things I want to do, or less happily, need to do.

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, made it through a relatively TV-free weekend. My Dh and I had one 'sit-down' meal over the weekend and he couldn't take the silence. :crackup: So, we watched 20 minutes of news online (I would like to keep up on news - just not obsess over it like before).

And, frugal-wise...the place has been rearranged (THAT was a work-out!!) and the TV is now next to his desk, with his game systems, and those are plugged into a power strip of their own so won't be sucking as much power (he'll only flip it on a few times a week when he games)!!! :cheergrl:

Also, all our various things that we charged (phones, his razor and beard trimmer, hand-held games, etc.) were plugged into the same strip as the TV. I've now got those all plugged into one power strip, that will only be flipped on when something is actively charging!! :D No more phantom electric snatchers here!!! :D

Good weekend...though, tiring...still feeling a little "antsy" without my "TV fix". Hopefully, the weaning process won't take too terribly long!! Until I did this I hadn't realized how many thoughts I have that are TV-based and how many comments people make that also are... Interesting!

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Day 4 - no TV...

Well, I'm home...it's not even 8:30pm...we go to bed at 1am (later schedule due to college classes)...and I only have like 45 min of homework left to do.

Uh...what am I supposed to do with myself??? :loop: I don't have any audio books (haven't stopped by the library yet). I pen pal, but have no letters currently waiting to be answered. The kitchen is clean, there's only one load of laundry to do...things are pretty well picked up. Now what???

:feedback:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, you said that you wanted to embroider some more, might I suggest starting that now while you are bored and having else to do? What about drinking a nice cup of hot tea and listening to some good music??

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you said that you wanted to embroider some more, might I suggest starting that now while you are bored and having else to do? What about drinking a nice cup of hot tea and listening to some good music??
Thanks for the input!! I appreciate it!! :D

I tried the hot tea...nice to just take "me time"...and kinda 'odd', too.

I need to work on building my music collection...I don't have a much...

I am SO not good at just sitting still relaxing...even when I watched TV I'd fold laundry, answer e-mails, spend time on FV, etc. :jabber: It's a lesson I need to learn...I know it's important to have 'down time'.

I feel almost 'guilty' taking play time??? Know what I mean? Like...music, tea, and embroidery would be absolutely no work, totally just for me... I feel like I should be cleaning, studying, etc... :loop:

Obviously this is triggering other "issues"... Hmmmm...

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, still haven't watched any TV... Even been eating better (probably cause I'm more aware of what's going into my mouth!! hahahaha).

Tomorrow night (Friday) is when I flipped off the boob tube for good (Sat was the antenna disconnect) and I'm celebrating by going to a play!! :) The play Romeo and Juliet is being put on and it's only $5 for students!! Woot!! I've never been to anything Shakespeare! Should be neat! :D

Then, Saturday night (one week from disconnect!! :)) I'm celebrating by going to "Rondy on Ice"...a big ice skating show that's part of the local Fur Rendezvous celebration up here. (www.furrondy.net if you're interested). That one is $18 (ouch), but it's really good! :)

Dh and I each get $50 of "fun money" each month...and mine usually just piles up cause I don't know what to do with it. So, I'm going to try to get out and see plays, musicals, concerts, etc...get some "culture" in my life and become more a part of the community. :) Now that I've got my nose out of the TV guide, I'm seeing that there are lots of things going on at the college that aren't terribly expensive ($10 and under) for that type event. And, I'm going to start going to see our college sports teams and cheer them on as I have time (free admittance). :)

Also, I'm working on "coming out of my shell"... :box: (I'm usually VERY quiet around others and avoid new people). I'm making friends at school (made a few friends already this semester!!) and one is going with me to the play and another to the ice skating show! :D I'm excited!! :D

I'm not missing TV as much (though I still think about it a bit)...keeping myself busy with schoolwork (which is GOOD!) and looking forward to new experiences!! Like plays! :) I think it will take a while to actually break the "I wanna watch _____ show" train of thought. I'm really noticing how much people reference TV shows and movies in their regular conversations. We've become a culture that revolves around Hollywood...

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are doing wonderful. DH and I have antenna's. We just couldn't see paying for TV service, when we don't watch a lot of TV. Keep up the good work........Lori

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
i think as long as you're conscious of change, it will happen.
:) so good job and good luck on your challenge.

i only wish i could ask my family to do a challenge like this!
*sigh*

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my! The play was WONDERFUL!!! They did such a great job!! I haven't been to anything like that in AGES!! And never to Shakespeare!! I didn't want it to end!! :D Definitely a GREAT reward for turnin' off the boob tube!! :D

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to an ice skating performance this evening...part of a community event called, "Rondy On Ice". They did a super job!! :D It was fun to get out and see REAL people instead of gluing to the boob tube!! But now, time to hit the books!! I have bunches of homework to do!!! :)

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This "no TV" thing is turning out to be a major benefit! :D I'm actually catching up on my schoolwork!! I got 8 hours done today!! Which feels GREAT!! And the house is clean, I'm getting proper amounts of sleep...and have started exercising!! :D

I still miss some shows, but it's starting to fade (which is much sooner than I thought it would).

Dh & I are actually sitting and chatting while we eat meals (the meals we're actually home for)!! No TV, no radio...just us, enjoying a meal and conversation...

This is really reaching more "corners" of my life than I had expected...can't wait to see what it does after a month or so! :)

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So...pretty good day today... I'm having TV cravings though...eating supper without Dh does that to me!!! :(

I watched about 15 min of news online today... (I left occasional online news and the rare educational show...like if they show one in a class...on the "accepted list"...I'm a news junkie, so that was a HUGE cutback on it's own with "no TV"). Anyway, with the stock market dropping another 300 points I wanted some quick info while I ate breakfast. I had trouble paying attention to it...then I was fidgety all afternoon. :angry: I've been focusing really well the last 4 or 5 days and it's been SO nice...gotten lots done!! I feel like I studied for hours today and got nothing done!!! ARGH!!! That's the only thing I can "blame" it on... Maybe I'm going to have to give up online news, too. :cry:

Got in about an hour and a half of exercise today!!! My feet hurt and my legs are sore!!! Lost a little more weight, too! :D (Weighed myself this morning). So, that's looking up!

I tried to check out some audio books today at the university library, but they only had music CDs...gotta go to the municipal library for audio books...erf... I'll have to get over there soon...I'd really enjoy one of those!!

My goal is to be totally caught up on schoolwork by the end of Spring Break (end of next week). I've got it all broken down into "chunks" and put into my planner...so far, so good! :)

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok...no online news video today...even though I wanted to. :shame: I'm thinking (sadly) that was my "issue" yesterday...because I was back to sharp concentration today...attended my classes - alert and focused and have put in 3 hours of study on math alone!! :)

I feel like I "need" a vice of some sort??? Is that weird? I dunno??? Maybe I'll just take a hot bubble bath every night!!! :bath: hahahaha (I can just see the gas bill now!!! :eek:) I know I don't "need" something like that...but why do I feel that way?

Didn't miss TV today...so that was good... :D Of course, sitting with Dh and chatting during supper helps so much!! (That was my regular "start TV time").

I'm listening to Beethoven tonight!! (The CD from the library). Maybe it'll help me learn better as I keep pluggin' away with the studies??? (More math homework...and then some physics). :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
you are doing really great!! you should be very proud of yourself! I need to do this also I'm a tv addict even though I hate most of the stuff on.It keeps me company and helps alittle to get my mind of things that upset me or depress me. keep up the good work we all should ban tv we would be alot better off in so many ways.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You are doing GREAT with the no TV. I think I am going to start regulating the time we watch TV at our house.....

No TV in the mornings
No TV during dinner
I will let Sara watch TV for 20 minutes when she gets home from school.
Sara can watch TV for 20 minutes before bed.
Me and DH can only watch TV 20 minutes before bed.

Thanks for the motivation for this challenge. Good luck to you!

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It keeps me company and helps a little to get my mind of things that upset me or depress me.
This is EXACTLY what I used TV for!! Really, I'm feeling less depressed and mentally cluttered without it... Give it a go!! :)

·
Licence to Kill
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was a little apprehensive about today...but it went GREAT!!! :D

Today was my first day home alone the WHOLE day...no Dh here, no friends over... I was worried I would turn to my "ol' buddy" the TV...but I didn't!! :vibes:

I dug out some classical (baroque) cds we've had for a while and had that playing softly all day...seemed to keep me mellowed out and focused. :)

I sat down and got 7 HOURS of homework done!! I'm finished with what I needed to get done today and it's not 2am!!! In fact, it's only 8pm!!!!! Now what do I do with myself?! hahahaha :animated:

I even got 30 minutes of exercise! Also, did the laundry, cleaned the kitchen, made the bed, and vacuumed! :mdance: VERY productive day! Even did enough that I should have a free evening tomorrow night!!! (Should have enough time in morning/afternoon for homework and classes). (GASP!!) :eek: Woot!!!!! :cheer4:

I'm REEEEEEALLY starting to see the benefits of turning off the boob tube!!! :dancing: I had NO clue it would be so great!!! :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts