Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all heard about this case?

A woman was arrested here in Ohio for breastfeeding her baby while driving. When the trooper tried to pull her over, she would not speak to him until she had called her husband on the phone and been given permission. She said that it is legal in Michigan, her home state, so she should be allowed to follow those laws when driving to MI from PA. After the charges were filed, the couple tried to say that they had to be filed against her husband (who wasn't even in the car) because in their religion he is the only one who can punish his wife. Now, she's representing herself in court, and wouldn't start talking in the courtroom until her husband, sitting in the front row, gave her permission to speak.

One news story: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/GoodMorningAmerica/breastfeedingmom030619.html

I have so many issues with this case that I don't even know where to begin! :confused:

Breastfeeding while driving.... that's just scary. I can't imagine what would have happened to that child if there had been a crash. The woman keeps saying it's no more dangerous than talking on a cell phone.... apparently she forgot that there's a baby involved in breastfeeding.

Waiting for your husband's permission to speak to the cop that's just pulled you over... that's, well.... unusual, to be polite. I think they could have charged her with failing to comply with an officer's orders (if they didn't already). She also had a homemade ID card and license.

Waiting for your husband's permission to speak in court? I think that's just showing off. If that is really what they believe, couldn't he have given the permission before they left home?

I've been following this case as it's really caught my interest. What do you all think of it?

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I hope they throw the book at this woman! It's just irks me to no end that she would even consider trying to nurse her baby while driving! :furious: That is not safe under any circumstances as any breastfeeding mother know. If she has to stop suddenly she could have crushed her daughter between herself and the steering wheel. And..she said she just had her out of the car seat to nurse her but didn't want to have to stop. My question, did she even stop when she took the baby out of the car seat??? Why didn't she plan ahead and give herself more time so that she could stop and nurse the baby? Come on...did she really think she would be able to make a 5 hour drive with no stops without the baby getting hungry?

Next issue...homemade drivers lisence and ID card.:eek: That's certainly not legal and she should be fined big time for that and not allowed to drive at all!

Not stopping when the officer requests you too. Another dumb move.

And the husband...well..he's a piece of work himself. UGHHH!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well, my thoughts are the same as Debbie's, I hope they throw the book at her too....in no state should it be legal to breastfeed a baby while driving.... I was :furious: when i first heard about this, and the fact that she and her husband think it is ok, is ludicrous!!! They need help.. All it would take is for her to rear end someone or someone to rearend her and the baby would be gone in an instant.. People need to stop and think, that is the purpose of car seats.. If the baby needs to be fed, you stop and take care of the baby..

Now, if my husband tried to give me permission to speak I would have to put the whole foot in his mouth, :lol: :lol: :mad: :mad: There is no way I would be with someone that I had to ask his permission to speak to a law officer or to speak in court or to even speak anywhere.. She may even have to ask for permission to go to the bathroom. That is ridiculous!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
This woman is nuts and so is her husband. The child could have been crushed if there had been an accident. The part about having her husband's permission is just plain dumb. I hope they throw the book at her, but I bet she gets away with it.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I did see this when it first happened, but never knew what happened following it. I am glad you updated us Amy.

I just can't believe that this woman thinks this is ok to do. They should make her attend a morgue where she can see what happens to crash victims. Maybe then she would think twice...........or maybe not. She just doesn't seem like she has much sense.

I feel for this child.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I think it's dangerous. Everyone in a car should be seated and attached with a seat belt or baby seat. No exception.

People complain of talking on cell phones while driving---(I agree) but nursing while driving seems much more dangerous...the child is not secured in a seat!

...some people are so strange...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It takes all kinds...... Sometimes I think you should be licensed to be a parent, but she probably would have made one of those herself too. Jeesh.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I saw on the news last night that she was not convicted of child endangerment, but was convicted for not having the child in it's chair and for driving without a license. STUPID judge!:fuming: Stupid parents!:pdoff: What on earth are these people thinking? We are talking about a child's life and safety here. UGHHH!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the verdict, too, and couldn't believe it. How could that not be considered child endangerment???

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I saw this couple on Bill OReilly and he said that they found some kind of loop hole in the laws of child restraint. :confused: The way the law is worded they could not get her on that charge. It's so crazy!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
How sad that the poor child will be raised in that enviroment. :(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stupidity should really be illegal. The only one with a brain in their head in this whole thing was the cop who pulled her over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts